• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

HD4870 & Ageia Physx card

Associate
Hello all,

Silly questions coming up but here are the facts first. I had a HD4870 and then decided to buy a BFG Physx card off the MM cos I was sure I read somewhere that you could then get physx to work with an Ati card.

So I gets the BFG card today and slot it into my pc, the question I have now is how do I know its working correctly? My first inclination is that its doing its job as my framerates in the phyics test in 3d mark vantage have gone from around 18 average to 30 but is this the sort of increase I would expect? Im a pure novice to this as previously I have only used nvidia cards and physx was all built in.

Any help out there would be awesome or have I bought an item that really is going to show me much benefit?

Ta

AMG

AMG

Soldato
your best of with a Nv GPU than use the patch to remove the limitation ( as the drivers will actively seek out the AMD card)

as far as I m aware Nv stopped those PPUs quite a while ago, I dunno if you can get it working again with that patch

but that will only work on XP or win 7

Caporegime
Not sure about a dedicated physx card but nvidias last beta driver release has no restrictions and no patch is needed.

Best to try Fluidmark to test for physx. If it says hardware physx, it's working.

Then check in a game with something like batman AA

Associate
OP
Hmm yea I guess you guys are right. Never mind it was just a chance to play. Will flog the Ageia card on. Im not to disapointed as it was only a cheap fix and I thought I would give it a try. Thanks for the help/advice.

Associate
The Ageia PPUs are not supported in the new PhysX drivers and are paperweights pretty much.

Why wouldn't they be supported anymore? surely there's enough power in them to run physx on low or medium settings at least in games? sounds like a move by nvidia to make people buy their own cards for physx use for more profits.

If it is indeed now a paperweight with no future use (needs some further confirmation/proof), then are you going to try and sell it to some unsuspecting buyer Chris? :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom