Choices.. GSX 650F, SV 650S, ER 6F

Soldato
So undecided for my bike.

Im leaning more towards GSX 650F at the moment. It just feels more solid that the other 2 for some reason. Also a much more comfy seat.

Will be used for commuting, motorway use and for getting a good start from cars at red lights.

Any GSX 650F riders around these forums?

Comments welcome.

Soldato
Not rode the 650F but have the other two, if your looking for a commuter you can be a bit naughty on I'd highly recommend a test ride on a versys. I had a great time in the hour test ride I had, it will surprise you, one of the best handling bikes I've ever ridden and I was very close to buying one.

Even some vids on youtube of a guy embarrassing some liter bikes round cadwell on a stock versys.

Associate
The ER6/Versys are both great all round and fun bikes. Narrow too so great for filtering.

GSXF is competent and has a little more poke but heavier

SV is fine but a little old hat these days. Hasn't been updated in ages.

I'd go for the ER6 or GSXF but I'm not sure which so I'd probably end up buying an SV1000 but that just me

Associate
I test rode an ER6F and thought it was very nice.

Couldn't afford one as they were new, so bought a 2nd hand SV650 (see sig), which again is very nice.

As what has been said above, they're all suitable, just find the one you like

Associate
I bought my SV new in 08 and liked it, though now I want something 'more'. Of what I dunno. I rode the inline 4 650F thing and as I'd already had my V-twin I didn't much like the way the inline went, but that's because I was in love with the V!

So yeah, ridden all 3? I've not tried the ER6.

Associate
I would probably go for the GSX650F, at the moment i have the GSX1250FA and i find it a great bike, it's basicaly the same bike with a bit more power, i had a loan bike (SV650) while my 1250 was in for a service last week, as you have said, the SV felt a lot less solid than the GSX650F, all though i have the GSX1250FA i would have to agree with this as i felt the same when riding the SV, it also wasn't as comfortable, i know the 1250 is bigger and has more power than the 650 but that doesn't mean anything when you are talking about comfort, build and stability.

If you haven't done so already go test ride them all, then you can make an informed decision.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for all your opinions so far :)

I got a test ride booked for wed afternoon on a bandit 650, which is the same bike as the GSX but witout the fairings.

I test rode an '08 ER6F last week for 2 hours and my cousin owns an SV650S, so i've rode that a few times.

I have to say that both the SV650 and the ER6F are very similar bikes for weight and handling. Its just the rider position thats different.

Am I right in thinking that the GSX650F will get away from hot hatches at lights. I know its not as torquey as the other 2.

Thanks.

Soldato
Am I right in thinking that the GSX650F will get away from hot hatches at lights. I know its not as torquey as the other 2.

Thanks.

Me on a push bike after a can of redbull will get away quicker from the lights than a hot hatche of course it will :)

Associate
Most 125's can hit 60mph in 6-8 seconds, this is the same as a 160-200bhp hot hatch/MR2/MX5 etc

Those bikes you listed hit 60 in 4ish seconds, your talking Lambo/Porsche country there! :D

Associate
I have an er6f and I love it.
0-60 in under 4 seconds is nothing to laugh at.

I have been on an sv650 and the sv has a little more top end speed but theres not much in it at all.

The main thing for me is it's reliability - never let me down in 3 years being left outside!

Associate
2009 ER-6f here too. Lovin' it thus far
eyebrows.gif

Associate
Most 125's can hit 60mph in 6-8 seconds, this is the same as a 160-200bhp hot hatch/MR2/MX5 etc

Those bikes you listed hit 60 in 4ish seconds, your talking Lambo/Porsche country there! :D

First link on Google gives:

Code:
Porsche 911 GT2 996		4.0s
Aston Martin V12 Vantage RS	4.0s
Ford Shelby Mustang GT500	4.0s

I think you'll be fine against a lowered 1.2 Corsa

Associate
First link on Google gives:

Code:
Porsche 911 GT2 996		4.0s
Aston Martin V12 Vantage RS	4.0s
Ford Shelby Mustang GT500	4.0s

I think you'll be fine against a lowered 1.2 Corsa

What I've yet to discover is when these bikes (SV, Bandit, ER6) will lose out, i.e. when we get to 100mph who'll be in front?

I had an impromptu 0-50/60ish with an E46 M3 cabriolet when on my SV and t'was easy, but other than that I can't say for sure that any other car tried, you know.

Man of Honour
Standing 1/4 on a er6f is about 12.5 reading around, M3s and the like are up near 14 secs I think.

About similar perf on 1/4 mile to a F360 :)

I guess once you get over 100mph your gonna be in trouble from a average supercar :(, but you'll never have problems at lights really

Out of those I'd go for the ER6F, with SV in close 2nd, errr or maybe the other way around as I love the SVs engine... the GSX is pretty old tech and has always been abit of a shed, but op is right in it's abit more 'beefy' to ride.

Even better how about forget those and buy a low milage CBR600, not the RR but a older one, from around 2000 onwards... they were really easy to ride, and much faster than any of those when your feeling the need

Last edited:
Associate
Standing 1/4 on a er6f is about 12.5 reading around, M3s and the like are up near 14 secs I think.

About similar perf on 1/4 mile to a F360 :)

I guess once you get over 100mph your gonna be in trouble from a average supercar :(, but you'll never have problems at lights really

Out of those I'd go for the ER6F, with SV in close 2nd, errr or maybe the other way around as I love the SVs engine... the GSX is pretty old tech and has always been abit of a shed, but op is right in it's abit more 'beefy' to ride.

Even better how about forget those and buy a low milage CBR600, not the RR but a older one, from around 2000 onwards... they were really easy to ride, and much faster than any of those when your feeling the need

Ta for the numbers :).

Yeah, I do miss my SV engine!

Back
Top Bottom