How can I test CPU

Associate
I currently have a gaming pc that will not post. I've been sending different parts back to manufacturars to see if there's any problems - but so far there has been none found. I now need to test my CPU but I don't have another pc with an AM3 socket motherboard. Is there any other way I can test my CPU to see if it's that, that is causing the problem ? (I've also looked at my CPU and can't see any physical damage to it as of yet e.g bent pins)

Associate
OP
Thanks for all your replys guys - I have tried booting with a different psu - bu the same problem occurs where the computer cones in for about 5 seconds and then turns it self off - I haven't tested the ram yet because someone told me that the pc should be able to post without but not boot into windows. I've got two 'sticks' of 2gb ram making 4gb - I've tried them in different slots. My motherboard has been sent back to gigabyte for testing bit has been returned back to me with no faults. I have found though that if I unplug the CPU power cable on the motherboard then the computer stays on but of couse doesn't beep to say it has posted. Any advice ??? - thanks guys

Soldato
Turning itself off after 5 seconds?
You do have a cooler properly attached, and thats functioning properly, proper layer of thermal paste, no sticker left on the bottom of the cooler?

Associate
Have you installed the standoffs between the back of the motherboard and the case properly? It sounds like the motherboard is shorting out somewhere and switching off.

Are there any beeps before it switches off?

Associate
OP
There seemed to be good contact between the cpu and the cooler - as when I tried to remove the thermal paste had actually stuck strongly to the fan. (spirits247) - there is no beep before it turns on - (thats what made me think it was'nt posting) any ideas ??
Can I also just ask - Is it possible for the computer to be able to 'post' (not boot - so just beep at least without the RAM installed

Thanks for all help guys !

Associate
OP
Thanks - but sorry I forgot to mention that I've had this current system for the last year now - this problem has only just occured after transporting it to a different location. Any ideas ??? And can I ask .... Should I be able to post without RAM ??

Associate
Sounds like the problem I had before. I turned out to be the PSU, but it actually damaged the mobo as well. It should at least stay powered on without RAM

Soldato
Processors can fail. Getting an rma for one is nearly impossible, as it's so much more likely to be user error than a dead processor. As an added bonus, retailers are quite capable of testing defective hardware, deciding it's fine and then shipping it back to you.

Don't suppose you shipped it violently with the heatsink attached did you?

Soldato
The pc won't post without ram
With no ram or faulty ram it should power up and give out some beeps. But it won't power the display or post

Make sure u have a speaker connected to hear the beeps

Back
Top Bottom