• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Best potential stop-gap upgrade quad-core CPU?

Soldato
I'm currently using an Asus P5WDH Deluxe, and an Intel E6400 C2D at 3.00ghz.

I was wondering if there was any processors that were worth upgrading to on a stop-gap basis, as I'm now doing a lot of HD editing and it's seemingly putting quite a strain on my system. I believe I'd be looking at the older Core2Quads like the Q8300 or similar.

.....or, alternatively, do you think it would be worth investing in a better cooler and a little more time to eek some more out of the existing C2D and sit with that for the duration?

The rest of the system (well, the relevant bits) are as follows:

- Stock Intel cooler
- Asus P5W-DH Deluxe
- 4 gig Kingston DDR8500 (soon to be 8)
- ATI 5770 1 gig

I don't mind buying a 2nd hand CPU either but am just interested in exploring the quad-core avenue now I'm needing that extra bit of 'go', so any recommendations welcome :)

Soldato
OP
Thanks Pasty, I'll cast my eye. Not in a desparate rush but definitely looking to pick something up in the next few weeks, along with a few new drives, some more memory....Sharpening up the old rig a bit! :)

Back
Top Bottom