What socket 775 board to get?

Associate
Hi,

I have :
a pci express gfx card,
a pci sound card (some creative one),
a 775 cpu (q6600),
4x 1gb ddr2 sticks,
and 4 sata drives (hdd/optical) (i may need 5 sata ports though)

What motherboard should i get?

(i also have a heatsink, that to my eyes seems quite large. Nothing too extreme, but is this something to consider?)

thanks

(Oh also, i have no intention of overclocking or for gaming. I just want something reliable.)

Last edited:
Caporegime
p45 s775 mobos are quite rare atm.

i didnt want to but in the end i went for an asus p45 deluxe ddr2 mobo...simply because it is probably the best quality p45 board that is still available.

if you arent oc'ing etc maybe the gigabyte UD3LR or whatever would probably do a job?

Associate
OP
tbh i think ill be ok with any that have:
4 ddr
5+ sata

i was thinking about the MSI P43T-C51 P43 Socket775 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard

the only thing is, the ram i have (4x XMS2-5400C4 ) is apparently 1.9v. the mobo i just mentioned is 1.8v. will that work?

Caporegime
hmm...im not a huge msi fan myself - but dont let that put you off..

most mobos 'dislike' 4gb mem...if it only says 1.8v i might avoid it.. you dont know if the NB or SB is voltage adjustable but you might have to up one of them to get it to boost and be stable with 4x sticks.

id be tempted to sell off the individual sticks and get 2x 2gb but obviously its your cash etc.

Associate
OP
considering all i do is code (in php, not even any massive compiling to do), no games, no overclocking, is it really worth £120+? the msi board i mentioned was like 60 quid i think. does the p5q have any useful advantages?

Caporegime
The p5q deluxe is a great board, probably one of the best p45's. But at its current price its way too expensive, its still at the same price i paid for one a year and a half ago.

Caporegime
Better chipset cooling, extra lan ports, sata ports, better power phase regulation, dual 8 x pcie lanes for ati crossfire, the deluxe is basically a high end overclocking board. Really liked it when i had it, as it was a fantastic platform for overclocking quads on.

Associate
OP
chipset cooling - no gaming really, don't have really high temps
extra lan ports - only have one network
sata ports - would use these
power pharase regulation - no idea about this
ati crossfire - i wouldn't use

i can see how its handy if you care about a high end system, but tbh i don't really need many features like those

Caporegime
i installed my p5q deluxe last night... worked like a dream from the box...bit slow to install win7 64 from ACHI SATA DVDRW on like the preload before it starts to copy files over, i thought it had stalled...

but well, yea you might pay a bit more but can you quibble at a 3 year warranty and a better board for the extra cash?

i am now clocked to 3.00ghz with mem at 1000mhz after a quick blast last night, will be hitting 3.2Ghz @ 9x355 hopefully when i get home tonight.

Back
Top Bottom