Creating Primary Partition On Wiped Hard Drive ?

Associate
Hi,

I have used a DOS utility called copywipe 1.14 to wipe a hard drive for a clean installation of windows 7. However, the utility has not only removed all data from the hard drive, it has also deleted the primary partition and master boot record as far as I am aware.

Can anyone please tell me how I can create a primary partition on the hard disk and get it active and ready to accept an installation of Windows 7. I have a bootable USB stick with the windows 7 installation files and prefer to use this for the install as the DVD drive is working inconsistently.

However, I think that I need a bootable USB stick with the FDISK and FORMAT programs on it before using the other USB stick with the windows installation, or at least that is my understanding? If my understanding is correct, how do I get a bootable USB stick with the FDISK and FORMAT programs onto it?

Thx for any help
Binty

Associate
OP
rpstewart,

Thx for the advice.

Just as a follow up I used the Windows Ultimate disk loaded onto a bootable USB stick for the install. Before selecting the language, I used "DISKPART" in a command prompt box to partition and format the drive then proceeded with the install.

Thx for the tip, it worked OK

Rgds
Binty

Back
Top Bottom