HMRC Call...

Associate
I had a call from HM Revenue and Customs today, to inform me that they'd given me a £100 fine for failing to fill in a self assessment form, and if I didn't pay by the end of tomorrow they'd throw additional fines etc at me. This was a bit of a shock as they'd not said a thing till today, no letters to say I need to fill in a self assessment, no warnings, reminders or any other correspondance. I was self employed for a couple of months 3 years ago which I filled in a SA for, and I've been on a normal PAYE job for 2 years now, and according to the HMRC website I shouldn't need to fill one in.

They advised (or rather ordered) me to pay the fine and raise a dispute, any idea whether I'll be able to sucessfully claim it back?

Associate
OP
Hehe, don't worry I'm not stupid enough to pay a random person over the phone! He asked me for debit card details which set off a few alarm bells, but he had a worrying ammount of information about me if it was a scam though (knew my mobile number, home address where my tax is registered and unique tax reference :confused:). The number was 0845 302 1427, couldn't confirm whether it was a scam or legit from google. I'll give HMRC a call and check if they really have fined me...

Soldato
Hehe, don't worry I'm not stupid enough to pay a random person over the phone! He asked me for debit card details which set off a few alarm bells, but he had a worrying ammount of information about me if it was a scam though (knew my mobile number, home address where my tax is registered and unique tax reference :confused:). The number was 0845 302 1427, couldn't confirm whether it was a scam or legit from google. I'll give HMRC a call and check if they really have fined me...

One misplaced pay slip or other piece of paper would be enough to get all that info surely?

Although it wouldn't surprise me if HMRC misplaced a USB drive! :p

Caporegime

http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/08453003950

Massive thread about the number here.

Ring up HMRC though to report that you have been contacted and just make sure everything is ok. :)

Associate
OP
Can't think of any documents that would have my mobile number along with my UTR, you might be right on the USB drive though :p

Soldato
If they think money is owed them, they most certainly do phone!

0845 302 1427 does appear to be a genuine HMRC number.

Probably their latest computer system has started generating random penalties on people. I wouldn't be surprised!

Their computer systems are currently going mental issuing penalties and distraint proceedings to all and sundry, even taxpayers with pay arrangements with them. Problem with automatic systems! :D

Caporegime
HMRC do contact you by phone, they have several times at work. Once they even asked me if I wanted to pay £134k via debit card (is that even possible?) :confused:

This year HMRC have tightened up on all fines and introduced new ones. The country is short of money after all.

You used to get some leaway but not anymore. £100 fines here and there for everything plus a certain percentage of everything you owe and haven't paid which increases every time you are late paying.

Back
Top Bottom