pentax super takumar 50mm f1.4

Permabanned
Anyone used one ? They are M42 so fit straight onto Nikon cameras i belive, or with adaptor.

Im thinking of getting one to replace my 50mm 1.8, they go upto F30 i believe (?) instead of a maximum of F8 on the Nikkor. And apparently super sharp. These sell for £50 all day long in mint condition on ebay.

Thoughts ?

Soldato
1) M42 = needs an adaptor on your DSLR.
2) f30 =/= the best, especially when 9 times out of 10, you'll get more issues with diffraction than the benefits of sharper images at such a high f-stop on a cropped body.
3) It's manual focus, why use that to replace your AF 50mm f1.8 (assuming you're using the AF version)?

Permabanned
OP
D70 has AF built in! But yes its the AF Nikkor 1.8D, but 9/10 I use Manual focus with it anyway :)

Associate
Yes, ive got one and use in on a Canon 40D. You will need an adaptor and its best to get one with focus confirmation circuitry built in.
The lens stops down to f16 and its damn sharp between f2 and f8.
I bought it (for a lot less then £50) as a cheap way to get into prime lenses as all my others were zooms.

A couple of quick samples:

Takumar50Sample8.jpg

100403Cake1.jpg

Takumar50Sample7.jpg

Happy to answer any questions you have

Soldato
seriously TBL. Forget about the gear. Go do some shooting. Then when your on the limit of your gear. Then think about upgrading. (don't take offence but your not anywhere near the limit of your gear yet ;) )

I have to agree with p0ss.
Just use what you have, head out and shoot, shoot, shoot.
If the weathers crap, do a little practice at post-processing your images. Watching tutorials helps a lot too. I'm sure anyone who first started will want the world of kit, the best of the best. I too still fantasise that dream kit but hey, not everyone have a deep pocket.

Don't think yourself as an idiot. Everyone have to start off somewhere and learn. Like your recent post about your D70, that you've not even got the manual/read it. Trust me, read it, understand what button and what settings there for you to tweak. Experiment and then decide which is to your liking (e.g. colours, saturation, contrast e.t.c. if you shoot JPEG only).

Many of your shots are often underexposed or missed focussed. If you really do a lot of manual focus, perhaps an eye check is appropriate, along with checking your cameras Diaoptic is set at the right level for your eye (simple way is to tripod your kit, manual focus to a point that is the sharpest - make sure you have your DoF button pressed to check, then blow it up to make sure it the focus is where it should be)

Just a little 2p and hopefully, you see where I'm coming from~
BTW, if legacy lenses do interest you - perhaps you should have a look at some that's not got the same focal length as what you've got? e.g. the Olympus OM 135mm f2.8 if you want a longer prime.

Back
Top Bottom