Nokia N8 - The ultimate phone?

Associate
http://events.nokia.com/NokiaN8/

Coming out in Q3 at a price of 370 Euros excluding tax (currently listed at £420 pre order on play.com)
Specs (that appeal to me):

-3.5" Capacitative OLED screen, made of gorilla glass (640x360)
-12Mp Camera with xenon flash that shoots 720p video; The 1/1.83 inch sensor is bigger than the ones found in most normal cameras
-Flash Lite 4.0 (has most of the features of flash 10.1)
-Video support: DivX, XviD, MKV, WMV, etc...(only care about DivX)
-Bluetooth 3.0, HDMI out, 11n WiFi
-Body is carved out of a single piece of aluminium

Camera Performance:
-Sample (unedited)pictures (click them for full size): http://conversations.nokia.com/2010...xel-sample-photos-shot-on-nokia-n8-untouched/
-Sample (unedited)video: http://vimeo.com/11266224?hd=1

Demo with prototype software:

-USB on the go (connects and acces files from usb devices directly):
-Comes out on top in benchmarks, 180% faster than N97: http://www.finestfones.com/2010/05/nokia-n8-benchmarks.html

Full specs:http://www.forum.nokia.com/devices/N8/

nokian805.png

nokian802.png

Last edited:
Soldato
It's hardware could be a bit better, and then -

Operating System: Symbian OS

It's the all new Symbain touch OS. I like the hardware, feels nice and solid. The camera on it is very good and very response.

The Symbain 3 OS is a massive improvement on the previous and I would go far as to say that certain areas are more polished than Andriod (not a great feat).

One of the better Nokia phones.

Last edited:
Soldato
Symbian OS v3 looks unintuitive, more of the same, uninspiring and Nokia just not moving with the times, change that font too Nokia - its horrific. Nokia have treated their customers like crap (hello N97, hello N900). The hardware specs are great, the OS is crap and all my goodwill to Nokia gone.

This is coming from a Nokia fanoi too.

edit
25fps? Thats poor
The CPU is slow.. again - well done Nokia. (compared to the N97 its quick - lets compare that to an iphone/desire shall we..)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
The 680MHz ARM cpu isnt slow...also remember Symbian isn't a resource hog. Personally I'm looking forward to it. Been using my N95 too long. Tried Samsung onmia, LG viewty and renior, the google phone, N97 all kind of poor (X6 was pretty good). Also i like the symbian os

The main thing that gets me though is the picture/video quality

Last edited:
Soldato
The phone does look to be a lovely device, but it has a few fatal flaws for me.

The OS - Having used symbian V5 in the past, it's not all bad, but having a play on friends android phones really puts it to shame, and S3 looks to be pretty similar to V5 so far, but I'm hoping that may change.

The hardware is on the slow side, a faster processor/more RAM to bring it level with other flagship level phones would be nice, just for overall power really. It would also mean that Nokia would be able to get 30fps 720p like many other manufactures are now.

If those were changed I'd get it in a heartbeat when it's out, actually, I'd probably be in love with it if it was android even with the other flaws. But don't get me wrong, it's a lovely phone, and hopefully will push other manufactures to put some better cameras options out there.

Soldato
The hardware is on the slow side, a faster processor/more RAM to bring it level with other flagship level phones would be nice, just for overall power really. It would also mean that Nokia would be able to get 30fps 720p like many other manufactures are now.
But this mobile is only meant to cost 270 euro (going by the OP post) I say at that price it not being aimed as a flagship level phone..

Last edited:
Associate
Although they've upped the CPU speed and added a GPU, the specs are still quite disappointing. I dunno what Nokia have against the newer ARM architectures (read A8 or A9 even). And Symbian is rubbish. It does have some cool features, like the USB hosting and the massive camera though..

Man of Honour
t looks nice but damned if I place that anywhere near my face on a cold morning ^_^

Plus, it looks like something that wedges into the console of a space ship than a phone ¬_¬

Shame it doesn't run Android :p That camera needs to see HTC handsets!

Soldato
The biggest upgrade for me is that it's got Qt built into it. We should start to see some really nice apps developed for it. It sounds like most of the big iPhone game developers (such as Rovio) have started making games for Nokia's new application framework.

After owning an iPhone, I wouldn't mind an N8 just for the freedom that it allows. Cheap tethering, uncensored apps, true multitasking...

Back
Top Bottom