Sky retentions and HD upgrade

Associate
Just wondering what sort of deal I could get from Sky if I threaten to leave. I already have Sky Plus and the Sports Packages, as well as the Max Broadband.

I'm wanting to upgrade to SkyHD, but am a bit ****ed off that they are offering it to new customers for free, but existing customers have to pay £60 installation, as well as an extra £10 a month.

I'm guessing that they will install SkyHD for free if I go through retentions, but would they reduce the monthly fee?

Soldato
Won't know until you ask, I called them up a few months ago saying I want to cancel HD and they offered me 12 months free line rental @£11pm :)

Go in with the belief you want to leave - if offer ain't good enough then there's no harm in saying you will think abaout it more and call back later

Soldato
You will not get HD for free.
Nobody does - the £10 from every HD customer makes up for the £10 they lost when Plus went free.

Sky offer a "Self Install" which only costs £30.

So if you threaten to leave, you will be offered an HD "Self Install" for £30 and you'll still have to pay the £10 per month for HD.

A couple of years ago threatening to leave would get you something.
These days it tensds to get you very little as far too many people have played the "I'm Leaving" card.

Associate
I have really lost all hope with Sky at the moment!
I have my old Sky+ box from a previous address so i phoned sky to get multi room installed. (i already have normal sky in the living room)
They were fine with sending me out the extra viewing card and the extra cost of £10pm but they want me to pay for a new Sky+ box, i treid to explain i have it still from my previous address and just need it installing in but alas they will do no installations unless i purchase more un-needed equipment!
Set of **** knuckles!!

Caporegime
Every week I see offers of free install for new and existing customers in the TV guide, not sure why you are having to pay. You will still have to pay the £10 extra for it but I see no reason why you are not getting free install.

Caporegime
Free install is if you take out the HD and Multi-room packs, costing you an extra £20 a month :p At least it was last week when I looked at this.

We obviously read different TV mags. The one free with the Sun on Saturdays doesn't mention multi room, even in the T&C's.

Soldato
Aren't the free HD boxes for new customers still mired by the small print that says about an installation fee?

They generally seem to be a pain in the arse though. My Dad recently upgraded to Sky HD, after being a regular (non Sky+) customer for well over a decade. They wanted to charge him full wack, till I pointed out that he's been a customer so long he really shouldn't be paying for one, so they amended that quite quickly.

The problem was that the guy who turned up to 'install' it, said he wasn't qualified to go up on the roof, so he couldn't put in the extra feed needed to watch/record two channels at once. I assume that getting it fitted, ie someone putting it up on the roof and someone just installing it under your telly are two very different things.

Still pretty rubbish though that they have left him with a box that doesn't fully work.

Caporegime
We obviously read different TV mags. The one free with the Sun on Saturdays doesn't mention multi room, even in the T&C's.

This is what I saw: http://www.sky.com/shop/boxes/

If you're already a Sky TV customer, claim your free Sky+ HD box when you take the HD Pack (£10 extra per month) and stay with Sky for a further 12 months. You'll even enjoy free standard set-up when you take a new Sky Multiroom subscription (£10 extra a month), allowing you to relocate your existing box and enjoy the Sky TV you love in another room. Or, if you don't have an HD ready TV, take our new-improved Sky+ box from £49 (£60 standard set-up) and you'll be all set to upgrade to HD when you're ready.

Associate
OP
Why would you need them to install it anyway? It's just a matter of plugging the new one in.

I was assuming that I'd need to replace the connection to the LMB, guess not based on what people have said here. I already have Plus, so thinking about it, I probably have the requisite connections. TBH, I'd rather to have to wait in for an engineer etc anyway, would be much easier to just get the box sent.

Thanks for the replies all. I'm actually not adverse to paying the extra £10. I just wondered what I could get. Just want it for sport really. Agree that there isn't too much, but HD Sport would be good.

Soldato
The problem was that the guy who turned up to 'install' it, said he wasn't qualified to go up on the roof, so he couldn't put in the extra feed needed to watch/record two channels at once. I assume that getting it fitted, ie someone putting it up on the roof and someone just installing it under your telly are two very different things.

Not exactly, the normal installers can do any job which doesn't require a special heights team. I would have assumed the installer had the job rebooked for a special heights team to attend and complete the install, if he didn't you should call Sky and have them send the team out.

Permabanned
I have SkyHD and TBH... it's kind of crap. It's not necessarily Sky's fault, there's just very little worthwhile programming that's in HD.

The main benefit it has is the much better EPG.

Ugh, apart from the 'info' on 'now and next' working properly I HATE the new EPG and prefer the old one on my Sky+ box upstairs. The new one is much more laggy.

I agree about HD though, I keep meaning to cancel it as I forget to even look if something is in HD now.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just wondering what sort of deal I could get from Sky if I threaten to leave. I already have Sky Plus and the Sports Packages, as well as the Max Broadband.

I'm wanting to upgrade to SkyHD, but am a bit ****ed off that they are offering it to new customers for free, but existing customers have to pay £60 installation, as well as an extra £10 a month.

I'm guessing that they will install SkyHD for free if I go through retentions, but would they reduce the monthly fee?

Sky offer a "Self Install" which only costs £30.

sky offer self install for Free

we have been with sky for 2 years.

we got it last week, box came in 2 days just had to ring up to get card paired with new box. took 10 mins.

Soldato
sky offer self install for Free

we have been with sky for 2 years.

we got it last week, box came in 2 days just had to ring up to get card paired with new box. took 10 mins.
Was going to post this.

They rang up a few days ago offering me the free HD self install and £10pm - but free for 6 months (or 3). I would've got it, but apartment building = shared dish = no HD.

Soldato
Why would you need them to install it anyway? It's just a matter of plugging the new one in.

Depends, if you're not with sky plus they'll whack up a multiple LNB dish and set all that up, as i'm pretty sure you need that to record.

I had the same thing OP, literally just keep ringing them, don't take no for an answer. Took a lot of attempts. Got a free HD box, no subsciption, installed 2 days later.
Really only wanted recordability now that I can't use dvd recorder or vhs.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom