Being scammed or am I being paranoid?

Soldato
Hey guys

I agreed a deal with a guy for a guitar amplifier for £400 and asked him to send me pictures of the amp with a piece of paper and my name on it.

He sent the pictures and I said cool, how about we pay £200 now and then £200 when the amp arrives. He said he wasn't happy with this so we agreed for him to list it on ebay and go from there ( he has 0 feedback )

The whole time he's had the amp on ebay which eventually sold for £375, I then got an e-mail saying that the ebay deal had fallen through asking if I was still interested. I said yes. I've gone on ebay this morning to buy the amp and he now has 1 feedback.

A+++ item recieved in perfect condition

This is for the same amp that eventually sold for £375 that apparently fell through.

Maybe they just decided to leave each other positive feedback?

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
He also told me it would be £10 to send a 25kg amp from Edinburgh to London :S

I also have 94 100% positive feedback on ebay...If that's not enough for him to know I'm not going to screw him over on the half before half after deal I don't know what is. I could live with being scammed out of £200 but £400...no chance.

Soldato
OP
( |-| |2 ][ $;16684919 said:
Is it possible to contact the ebay buyer?

Yes of course but he's simply not willing to compromise with the money half before half now. If I ask him what happened and he intends on scamming me surely he's going to just say we decided to leave each other positive feedback,

The thing is I can buy this amp new for £620.....might be worth just purchasing new.

Is this the only amp made?

It's a good price.

Soldato
OP
or he could send the amp and you turn round and give him no more money

There's still far more risk on my behalf, sending £200 and then him not sending it...

If I send the £200 and don't pay the second installment he'd have still made £200.

If I pay £400 and he sends nothing he'll be £400 up AND still have the amp.

Soldato
OP
^^^ this I have done it and had it happen several times..

I've e-mailed the buyer asking him if he actually purchased the amp.

If i get no reply I'll be sending this...

Hi

I hope you don't take this personally, but I've decided that I'm going to walk away from the deal. Here are my reasons.

Firstly, from looking at your feedback, according to ebay you sold the amp last week. I am also worried about the deal previously just 'falling through'. Seems a bit coincidental to me.

Secondly, I don't understand how it can only be £10 to send a 19kg amp all the way to London. I sent a 15kg to Wolves yesterday and the cheapest option was £20. (through parcelforce)

Finally, I don't understand why you're not willing for me to pay half before the amp arrives and half after. I have 94 100% positive feedback on ebay and wouldn't imagine scamming a fellow musician.

For all I know you have absolutely no intention of scamming me what so ever but unfortunately can't take the risk knowing I can buy the amp new for a couple hundred more.

Sorry to have wasted your time.

Soldato
i'd have asked him to list it on ebay with a buy it now price then just brought it and sent the money via paypal... much safer...

Back
Top Bottom