Core Temp prob

Associate
I have a small problem with core temp - In that I have two stuck cores on my Q9650 - not bothered about that, it's one of those things - but what is strange is that the location of the two stuck cores changes, on reboots, within Core Temp - Any ideas why - the picture below may help...

Many thanks

Cores.jpg

(picture will come once photobucket is up & working again. In summary, I have a core that is stuck at 39C and it moves from Core #1, Core #2 & Core #3.

8 times out of ten it is shown as core #3 - by why would it move??

Any help appreciated.

Last edited:
Soldato
The Chip I have (E8400) had serious issues with stuck temp sensors when it was first released. The thing you need to know is that Intel never intended for us to use the thermal diodes in the chip as temperature sensors. They are close to useless at normal temps, providing only a vague indication and are calibrated to work properly close to temps that will cause the CPU to throttle or shut down. Sometimes it's down to the BIOS reading this information so an update can help if one's available but generally it's not something to worry about.

Soldato
By the way - have you tried other programs to monitor your temp? HWMonitor is what I use, but again it's not that accurate tbh.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply.

I'm not really concerned about the stuck sensors, I'm just curious why the stuck sensor "moves" core position within Core Temp - i.e. it was nominated as core #03, but on reboot moves to core #2 - is this unusual?

Many thanks

Associate
OP
Hello again.

The PC is still working fine but I can't seem to get the core temp location change thingy out of my head - as per the first post.

Could someone please confirm how the core temps are actually routed from the CPU to the motherboard - is there a dedicated pin on the CPU -I'm just trying to work out why my stuck cores sometimes change location after rebooting/shutdown. Is it a motherboard, bios or CPU problem?

Thanks for any help.

BTW both Core Temp and Everest show that the temps of the stuck cores move location - realtemp always shows the stuck sensors in the same location - i.e. core 02 & 03

Many thanks

Associate
OP
Hello again.

The PC is still working fine but I can't seem to get the core temp location change thingy out of my head - as per the first post.

Could someone please confirm how the core temps are actually routed from the CPU to the motherboard - is there a dedicated pin on the CPU -I'm just trying to work out why my stuck cores sometimes change location after rebooting/shutdown. Is it a motherboard, bios or CPU problem?

Thanks for any help.

BTW both Core Temp and Everest show that the temps of the stuck cores move location - realtemp always shows the stuck sensors in the same location - i.e. core 02 & 03

Many thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Baldrick

Associate
Thanks for the reply.

I'm not really concerned about the stuck sensors, I'm just curious why the stuck sensor "moves" core position within Core Temp - i.e. it was nominated as core #03, but on reboot moves to core #2 - is this unusual?

Many thanks

Just how the program is probably program.

Back
Top Bottom