Pale/Fair skinned people who spend a lot of time in the sun ...

Associate
Hi,

I'm pale/fair skinned myself and would like to hear from people who are similar and able to spend a lot of time in the sun and how they are able to do so ... any tips and the like for spending time outdoors for long periods.

What I'm basically saying is that I can wear factor 50 sometimes and still not feel confident about sitting in direct sunlight for any decent length of time.

I'd like to hear how people cope with the likes of sitting in a beer garden in no shade all day, how people can play Golf all day and Bike rides and walks up in the hills etc.

Even more so from people who spend time or go on holidays to some of the hottest places around and don't get burnt but still enjoy the holiday and activities and such.

I'm off to a BBQ/Drinks in a couple of hours with pals and it's gutting when I have to think ahead and slap on greasy sunscreen, when most people there wont even have thought about it ... :D

Also any tips about protect your scalp through your hair without always having to wear a hat (most pubs will not let you in with a hat these days around here)

cheers

Soldato
gingerkidsp.png

Soldato
I work in a hospital and I see people who have really damaged their skin. Its very easy to be carried away when its happy summer time, the beers flowin and the short skirts are in full effect. But photons and UV dont care and in strong sunlight your skin is taking a battering. A little sun is good for you but if you are pale you are much more susceptible to burning. If you dont like slathering yourself with SS (I dont) you can get these really really light full-sleeve cotton shirts. You hardly even feel them they are so light. Get light colored ones, white is best. They will keep you cool (the white reflects) and more importantly they keep the sun off ur arms, shoulders etc. Hat is important.

Theres no need to feel gutted - its your body, your skin. And the danger of skin cancer is very real. nevermind other people - they wanna roast thats their call.

Theres nothing wrong with going out there to get a tan - the problem is that some peeps just dont know when to stop and thats when trouble begins.

Soldato
I just lather on the suncream and deal with whatever happens. There's only so much you can do... you can't just stay indoors your whole life.

Although tbf I'm not really a fan of sitting about in the sun anyway, I always get too hot. Prefer some shade-action.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I am the same mate, bordering on the albino. Just need to make sure that you dont sit out in the sun without something to protect you. It does get a little annoying seeing everyone else going brown as I go slightly red but meh.

I see loads of people that dont wear any sunscreen who go quite brown eventually but I also know a fair few people that still wear some sort of sunscreen even if they go nearly black.

We all get a little overexcited when the sun comes out in this weather and you just need to be careful. I didnt used to wear any protection when I was younger and my nose has taken a beating because of that. Wish I had bothered.

Soldato
In most places it isn't too hard to find a table or whatever in shade or dappled sunlight.

Of course it changes depending on how long you're out and if you're in the same place a long time you may have to shuffle about to stay in shade!

Aye, use a hat or cap, light long sleeved tops (you can always roll the sleeves up when out of sun), and just, uh, be sensible?

I brown quite nicely and a couple of applications of sun cream is usually enough for me - but sunburn sucks and I do often wear a big white shirt over whatever else I'm wearing, or seek out the shade.

Avoid midday sun too, or going out intending to stay out over the middle of the day - at least seek shade when the sun is at its strongest.

As long as you're not walking somewhere at midday, it shouldn't be too hard to pick the shady side of the street.

Associate
Move to Scotland.

:D I hate putting on sun screen myself, but it must be done! The first time I went snow boarding in the alps I came back with horrendous sun burn, I wasn't wearing enough SS and totally underestimated the sun up there.

Man of Honour
The first time I went snow boarding in the alps I came back with horrendous sun burn, I wasn't wearing enough SS and totally underestimated the sun up there.

A combination of higher altitude and the reflection of sun from snow (also can affect you on water) means that you should be extra careful as you've found out, especially as you don't necessarily feel the heat as much. I've seen a few people forgetting to put sunscreen under their nose/chin and getting burnt there from the reflected sunlight which really isn't pleasant.

I'm pretty pale and I've not found a better solution than either staying out of the sun or wearing and regularly re-applying sunscreen.

Soldato
Try a non-greasy sunscreen. I've got some Banana Boat Ultra Mist which is invisible and dries almost instantly. Much prefer to use that than a cream.

Does it stain clothing? I put some cream on yesterday and now my best white T-shirt has yellow stains around the neck and arms :eek:. Going to have to get some spray or burn tbh.

Associate
Im using a Garnier UV Sport sunscreen.

Only factor sixteen but i apply fairly liberal to arms and neck and lightly to the face and just where a hat.

It is advertised as non greasy, but it is a little bit but i can live with that.

BUt it is water resistant which is the best bit as i sweat like a mofo.

Seems to a good job.

Also just find shade where ever possible tbh.

Back
Top Bottom