Your top 5 most visually stunning films!

Soldato
I can see many people going for Avatar here, but let me just state that it doesn't necessary have to be CGI/Animated films. It could be that you liked a film for the camera methods used or the way it was shot/directed, or perhaps the scenery.

So what are your top 5 visually stunning films and breifly why?

Soldato
I was really impressed with the way A Single Man was shot. I can't honestly remember/put my finger on why but I remember watching it and thinking that Colin Firth's performance and the camera work were both pretty special.

Associate
Visually stunning I thought was The Fountain. Especially when understanding how much of the look was created.

I also enjoy the Style employed by Jean-Pierre Jeunet as he creates a world within an already existing world that is exaggerated. I also love his use of camera and animation. Amelie, Delicattessan as examples.

I recently watched MicMacs and I could just look at the composition of the film and enjoy it. The colours he uses throughout his movies is so colourful and vibrant.

Se7en is also another film that I actually love everything about it. The look, the atmosphere, the script, acting and especially the ending. Even the editing and pacing of the film I love.

Associate
Lost In Translation. Very artistic use of focus, lighting and tones, and as a photographer I often use it as a source for inspiration. Wong Kar Wai's films, In The Mood For Love and 2046 also have that same artsy feel, and he loves his still life shots during dialogue, and he's a a great example of someone who uses long, continuous shots to set the mood instead of bombarding you with loads of hasty cuts. Love the way he lets his actors 'breathe' as a result of this (same goes for Coppola in LIT). I feel that Wall-E was a breakthrough in terms of animation, it's simply stunning, and it's visual merits were so strong it didn't really need dialogue - the animation was that effective that words would've actually diluted the experience. Finally, I have to include a Miyazaki film, and it's gotta be Spirited Away simply due to the sheer imagination and creativity present in that film

Associate
Avatar - mediocre story but truly stunning vistas and effects.

The Matrix - loved the green tint applied to denote the matrix, and bullet time was a revelation.

2001 - considering its age the fx still stand today.

THX1138 - visuals really portray a sterile totalitarian state.

Bladerunner - one of my fav movies and just looks stunning.

Last edited:
Associate
(I wont list a top 5 now, but i'll probably come back to this thread as I think of more)

Anyway. The Conformist

Really good light shadow and colour. Period details that look ace.

Heres a review with some pictures, though I don't think they do it justice.
http://troyolson.blogspot.com/2009/09/movie-reviews-conformist.html

One scene in a character's apartment looks especially good
zj6tef.jpg

this scene here ^
a blu ray would look amazing

'Manhatten'
'Pierrot Le Fou' (and to a lesser extent 'Une Femme est Une Femme) or any Godard really, but I liked when he went into colour

aaaaaannd I'll come back to this when I'm less tired

oh and 'House' (Hausu)

Last edited:
Caporegime
Avatar - I've never come out of a cinema feeling like that before
Coraline - First 3D film I saw and I just love the way it looks, really draws me in
Hero - some breathtaking use of colour in scenes
House of Flying Daggers - same as above
Lord of The Rings (any) - some of the best uses of CGI and other film techniques to create a believable world.

Caporegime
Yup I agree with The Matrix. One of those films where viewing almost any still you'd be able to tell it's from The Matrix.

300 is another very unique style (same with Sin city).

Back
Top Bottom