• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Dead Asus 5850, possibly my fault, and can't RMA, what can I do?

Soldato
Recently I put an Arctic Cooling Twin Turbo Pro on my 5850. When I put it back in the card had power (fans were spinning), but no output.

I took the cooler off, put the stock heatsink plate back on (after modifying it to allow the heatpipes to pass over), and cleaned off the old thermal paste (noticed some had got around the chip area) and tried again.

This time the card was fine, and has been fine for about 2 weeks. This morning, I went to fire up my computer and nothing on screen. I checked all the power connections etc, then removed the GPU and used the onboard GPU - suddenly, we've got video, and the system POSTs and Boots.

Therefore GPU is dead (tried it again, and still nothing, so can only assume GPU is dead - since I'm writing this on said PC, using onboard GPU).

So question is, do Asus do a non-warranty return? Would they just tell me to **** off and buy a new one? Do splits etc? Obviously can't RMA as the stock cooler has been modified, so what to do?

Do I just mark it up as experience, and try and sell the card as non-working on a well known auction site?

Main issue is, I'm short of money at the moment, so can't afford to buy even a 5770, let alone a replacement 5850.

Screws up my watercooling expansion plans too...

Thanks for any advice
Simon

Soldato
Send it back under warranty? You don't need to tell them you removed the cooler.

EDIT - Oh.. you hacked the standard cooler a little? when modifying :o

Soldato
OP
It's pretty obvious, even from the outside that it's modified - the stock plate has been cut where the RAM is, so the heatpipes would clear it. I then used one of AC's RAM heatsinks.

Soldato
OP
True, though I'm pretty sure - will give it a go in my brother's computer in a minute...

Any other ideas though? Anyone dealt with Asus in this kind of way before?

Associate
i hate reading topics like this :( reminds me of the terrible experiences ive had in the past

i hope all is well, id rather it was the psu and not the card

but from what u said its pointing towards the gpu

Soldato
OP
I do think someone should do a single slot 5850 with a waterblock on it. At the moment, you can't have a single slot 5850, which is a shame (unless you hack the DVI connector off).

Back
Top Bottom