Samsung Galaxy S... highest spec Android phone released... also with QWERTY!

Caporegime
OP
I must be missing it too fella because I just don't get it.

No, its a phone. If you want something that can play back 720p content buy a media player not a phone.

In the same way that no matter how good the camera is on a phone, it will never replace a proper camera....

Whats the next complaint...

WHAT......no optical zoom!!! Phone must be fail :rolleyes:

What an ignorant post. Phones are not now just "phones", anyone with even a glimmer of a braincell can see that phones are slowly turning into mobile mini-computers, with processing and GPU power increasing dramatically every couple of years. As technology progresses, quality will start to approach that of a low-end video camera, the Sony X10 isn't too far away in that respect. I recorded a few hours of family footage on my old N82 one christmas and it was great quality all things considered, and is still viewed to this day. Thus, it is now perfectly reasonable to expect mini-HDMI connectors on the new superphones that record HD quality video

If you can't grasp this somewhat basic concept then there's not much hope for you.

Last edited:
Soldato
or maybe were being realistic. a tiny % of people want/need it and if they do need it then samsung will want them buying one of there own media recorders/players...

anyway surely if you want to play the video on the big screen you can plug it in via usb to either the tv itself or to a set top box or console ?

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
But USB doesn't work as a video output medium without some kind of video converter chip in between to transcode.

Why spend money and make the device bulkier adding such a device when a straight mini HDMI output is all that's needed with native support on the chipset to decode the video?

Caporegime
OP
or maybe were being realistic. a tiny % of people want/need it and if they do need it then samsung will want them buying one of there own media recorders/players...

surely if you want to play the video on the big screen you can plug it in via usb to either the tv istself or a set top box or console

Mini-HDMI will soon (in a generation or two) be a standard feature on many high-end smartphones that have good cameras. This is not crystal-balling, it's not rocket science, and we're not splitting the atom here... it's a natural result of having a connection format so small and suited to this use, and scale of device. It's a means to an end (playing media direct to a suitable device), nothing more nothing less. This is my last post about this subject as I can feel my will to live being sapped each time I reply to such twoddle.

Soldato
What an ignorant post. Phones are not now just "phones", anyone with even a glimmer of a braincell can see that phones are slowly turning into mobile mini-computers, with processing and GPU power increasing dramatically every couple of years. As technology progresses, quality will start to approach that of a low-end video camera, the Sony X10 isn't too far away in that respect. I recorded a few hours of family footage on my old N82 one christmas and it was great quality all things considered, and is still viewed to this day. Thus, it is now perfectly reasonable to expect mini-HDMI connectors on the new superphones that record HD quality video

If you can't grasp this somewhat basic concept then there's not much hope for you.

I just had to laugh Rich, sorry.

Ignorant it is not dude, its a simple fact that 99% of people will not consider a phone (i'll just say that again for ya...phone...) to have a HDMI output.

If it comes with one then all well and good but I'm certainly not alone in deciding on a handset based on whether I can plug it into the TV or not.

Yeah some people just love living in the stone ages.

Dark ages?

I just don't expect this little 6" gadget that you carry around with you all day to replace every single entertainment device in the house, which seemingly you guys do.

Nokia's have been coming with TV out cables for years now and I dare bet that +95% of them haven't even had the cable wrap taken off.

What should be being developed rather than all these barely used features is better battery technology. Desire's barely get through a day now on a charge and my HD2 is as bad.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
That's because those cables were composite connections, not HDMI and the cameras on those phones were **** to begin with so the only desire to use the cables was to show how poor the camera was which nobody wants to do.

However, today people DO want to display their recording especially in wonderful 720p/1080p.

Quit being a chump (sorry to be so blunt but it's true) and accept that today's world revolves around high definition and the only way to enjoy it is on the big screen and what a better way to do just that than by whipping out your phone, not a big laptop or notebook or another device but your phone with tens of GB of storage and watching your favourite recordings/movies or tv shows on the move.

It's not up to phone manufacturers to come up with new battery technology, this is borrowed technology and the likes of Toshiba are already working on new technologies for batteries that will improve but these things never happen fast and we've only had high powered phones like the Desire for half a year.

It's like you expect everything or nothing...

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Well like I said, sorry but it is true. You're refusing to accept mobile technology trends shift at an exponential rate today purely because you personally don't like these devices having media output capabilities.

What kind of logical thinking is it when you're refusing to accept the hard truth?

Everything today is HD. If it doesn't have HDMI then it's not modern enough. The desire will continue to be a powerhouse phone but it will soon lose its edge even when it gets the 720P camera upgrade because it doesn't have a HDMI output socket and people want that feature because everywhere you go there's a HDTV to show off on. This is why these new phones being announced now are going to be popular in a few months when they release.

The Evo 4G is already big over state side....

Last edited:
Soldato
Well like I said, sorry but it is true. You're refusing to accept mobile technology trends shift at an exponential rate today purely because you personally don't like these devices having media output capabilities.

What kind of logical thinking is it when you're refusing to accept the hard truth?

I own a HD2, I'm happy to embrace mobile technology, always have and will continue to do so.

A 1ghz processor and 512mb ram has made a huge difference to the whole experience of what my phone does and can do.

But I just do-not see the market in HDMI on phones, I see it uses but earlier comments such 'No HDMI, Phone is fail' are stupid imo.

I guess we just see it differently.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Yes "no hdmi = fail phone" comments are stupid but mypoint is phones with those connections will appeal to people more because of that very feature and phones having those connections will also be specced very well and have very good cameras to make use of that feature or video playback support.

Soldato
Yes "no hdmi = fail phone" comments are stupid but mypoint is phones with those connections will appeal to people more because of that very feature and phones having those connections will also be specced very well and have very good cameras to make use of that feature or video playback support.
I normally think HDMI outputs suck big time as you cannot record from them ;)

But having an HDMI output on a phone maybe different..As you can just copy/paste the video from phone to PC..

Last edited:
Soldato
THat's me cancelled my contract in anticipation, supposed to end on the 21st but because I have to tell them I want to end at the end of my 12th month which is what I bought, and because I waited a week into the 30 days notice to-tell-them-I-only-want-what-I-signed-up-for I have to pay 10 days extra for sod all in exchange.

BUT it's sold out in Singapore and I want to get my hands on one and not wait for a few months with no phone so I'm going to see if I can get my mitts on one of the first releases, which should be out shortly. Some people on the Vodafone forum are saying that they've been given Tuesday as a target by shop staff.

Am I the only one looking forward to this? Don't forget to use Quidco, kiddies! Up to 120 quid cashback, which isn't to be sniffed at.

GeX

GeX

Soldato
i popped down to the vodafone store to have a play, but they only had the dummy in. Should have actual stock in this week they said thuogh.

The sources for the Galaxy S are out already, which is great news for customising it. :D

Caporegime
OP
I just had to laugh Rich, sorry.

Ignorant it is not dude, its a simple fact that 99% of people will not consider a phone (i'll just say that again for ya...phone...) to have a HDMI output.

I just had to laugh... since when was the ultra high-end smartphone market aimed at anything other than the 1% of power users who have the capability to appreciate things like HDMI ports? :D

If it comes with one then all well and good but I'm certainly not alone in deciding on a handset based on whether I can plug it into the TV or not.
No-one said it was based on that, you're exagerrating a tad.

I just don't expect this little 6" gadget that you carry around with you all day to replace every single entertainment device in the house, which seemingly you guys do.
ANother exagerration. We are power users... maybe you aren't. Different people different uses. It does not change the fact whasoever, that if a phone is now coming out with HD recording as an in-built feature, that a HDMI port is now a perfectly logical addition to a phone. HD phone, HDMI port. HDMI port, HTDV. Rocket science it is not.

Back
Top Bottom