Doctor Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
I've got a few things i need to discuss with the doctor tomorrow , both of are real concern.

So much pain being one of them :(

Can i discuss more than one thing with the doctor or do i have to make seperate appointments?

Caporegime
OP
Don't call them in the morning or they may cancel your current appointment and make a new one. Just apologise to your GP.

Don't call them in the morning?

I have to call at 8.30am or all appointments will be gone , this is a bad surgery i've phoned at 9am and they say " We are fully booked " and won't give me one for tomorrow

Soldato
My doctor will see you for something along the lines of 7 mins... If you can talk your way through 2 aliments then that is fine...

7 minutes on the flip side is not that long and i'm sure a double appointment would be better

Nix

Nix

Soldato
A while ago I booked an appointment to see my doctor for some pain I had.

When I mentioned something else, he wouldn't even listen and demanded I book another appointment, despite hardly using any of the time I had for my original appointment.

The guy annoys me to be honest.

Soldato
Most GPs won't have a problem with 2 complaints, provided it's not going to significantly affect subsequent appointments (contrary to Nix's experience, and tbh mate I'd write a letter to the practice manager, particularly if you tried to make another appointment to discuss the second prob and couldn't get one, and/or if the GP has an attitude problem)

Most GP surgeries will have a specific policy, but there is no national guidance, and usually depends on the particular doctor - for instance I would always block 10 mins in every 60-90, to allow me to overrun a bit on appointments for this very reason as I think it is medicolegally indefensible to ignore a problem a patient raises (especially as repeated studies show that, particularly with men, the 'incidental' or 'and another thing doc...' concerns of patients tend to be the more serious/concerning complaints).

If there is no clear policy, usually just use common sense, remember this will only leave the GP 5 mins per problem (from calling you in, taking the history, examination, making the diagnosis, deciding on treatment, writing it up, +/- referrals etc)

Soldato
Most GP surgeries will have a specific policy

Yeah, pretty much what this guy said.

My surgery will only see you regarding 1 problem if you book an emergency appointment where you have to go on the day or day after.

If it was booked in advance then discussing more than 1 problem would be fine. But I doubt you could sit down and talk for an hour as other people will have appointments booked.

Call and ask the surgery what there policy is to be honest.

Soldato
I was going to say "what a dumb question to ask" (in the op)
But having thought about it, yeah, i can see the dilemma. I would imagine it would vary from practic to practice. I do remember seeing a gp about 2 or 3 things, and i joked that i "save up all my problems for one visit". Can't really remember the outcome though tbh.
Seems weird that you have to book for separate ailments, but i guess they are on a time/quota system.

Soldato
Crikey i must have the best doctors on ocuk then, he always takes his time with you and never rushes, ive been in there for 30mins one time. They have a sign that says basically it takes as long as it takes so dont get arsey with the receptionist.

Caporegime
OP
I was going to say "what a dumb question to ask" (in the op)
But having thought about it, yeah, i can see the dilemma. I would imagine it would vary from practic to practice. I do remember seeing a gp about 2 or 3 things, and i joked that i "save up all my problems for one visit". Can't really remember the outcome though tbh.
Seems weird that you have to book for separate ailments, but i guess they are on a time/quota system.

Last year when i had an appointment this came up which is why i asked

ME : I have a problem *explains problem*
HER : Sorts me out some meds
ME : I also have this other problem that's concerning me
HER : We don't usually deal with more than one issue next time remember to ask for a seperate appointment.

That's why i asked here :eek:

But anyway i've booked a double appointment and damn was it a hastle to get through on the phone :|

Soldato
Best thing to do is when you go in say...

I have 2 problems Doc... He cant then say any thing along the lines of, "oh, you need to make a double appointment" etc... as you will then have to make a decision which one you are going to talk about and you wont know which one is more urgent/important and needs treatment :p If you did, you wouldn't need to doctor :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom