Is my PSU not powerful enough?

Soldato
I have a Hiper Type R 580W PSU. When I connect a 1900RMP fan, 2 fractal design r2 fans and the provided fan controller my machine will crash when running prime 95 after a minute or so. This is with the fans turned down to lowest on the controller

When the fans are disconnected it doesnt crash

I run the following --

Case - fractal design define r2
3 x SATA Hard drives
1 IDE hard drive
Gigabyte P45 DS3P motherboard
Q6600 CPU @3.6ghz
Corsair H50 cooling
2 x Noctua P12 fans on H50 radiator
Powercolor 5770 not overclocked
Xonar Essense ST

Associate
That should be fine, is it only when you run Prime that your system crashes with the fans? If it were the PSU not running the fans then it would either simply not run the fans at all, or it would crash without Prime. Have you tried running an intense game in place of Prime? If it works then there must be another issue...

Associate
Please Please Please replace your power supply whatever your issue is! As ricky said that model is notorious for having unreliable capacitors that would sometimes just blow and take everything with them. The second revision of Hiper PSU's (Type R MkII) have all been manufactured by Channel Well and have their capacitors, the same as Tagan and Seasonic so they're good, but not the first generation.

Other than that agree with Howitzer, need more info. It could just be that your overclock isn't particularly stable

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
My overclock works fine when I dont have all the fans plugged in. Dont think ill be replacing the PSU as it has worked fine for years and I now dont have a job so cant afford to anyway. It never crashed in a game but I think ive only played Starcraft 2 since I have had the new case/fan controller etc

Soldato
Maybe the fan controller is faulty and draws more power than it needs, dumping the rest as heat.

What about when fans are turned right up using the controller?

Soldato
OP
Maybe the fan controller is faulty and draws more power than it needs, dumping the rest as heat.

What about when fans are turned right up using the controller?

I havent tried this. I have a 1900rpm Scythe and its mega noisy when on max speed

Back
Top Bottom