Spire Thermax Eclipse II cooler

C64

C64

Soldato
http://www.spirecoolers.com/main/product_detail.asp?ProdID=938
Apparently this is the best air cooler on the market at the moment.
Has anyone got one and how reliable is frostytech in their reviews ? http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=2521

then I look around and it's not that great according to other reviews does anyone know a rock solid reliable site for the best air coolers ?
for example look at this review definitely conflicts with frostytech's http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Spire-TherMax-Eclipse-CPU-Cooler-Review/964/8

basically I have a tuniq tower 120 but i don't think it's up to the job of keeping my q6600 below 70c at 3.6 ghz 1.440 volts.
gaming load is different tends to stay below or around 60c but I am not comfortable with 70-80c under prime 95 load IBT at 3.6ghz so i cant see if it's 8 hours + stable yet can hit over 80c.

What would be a decent upgrade from a tuniq tower 120 the old one.

Am looking at getting at least -10c off the tuniq tower temps.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don' think much to Frostytech tbh, though if you want to trust them the Tuniq is ranked 2nd so not much will beat it.

Watercooling is the only way you will knock 10 C off, proper cooling too not Corsair etc.

Caporegime
For a q6600 i can highly reccomend the Thermalright ultra extreme, used this on a q6600 at 3.6ghz, 1,4 vcore 2x1500 rpm fans, lapped both the cpu and cooler and pushed the cpu to 3.8ghz, 1.51 vcore, load temps at 3.6 were 68-68-62-62, same at 3.8 (after lapping and with a pair of faster 2000 rpm fans). Same cooler was also used on a 3.8ghz q9550 and is currently installed on a 4ghz i7 920. I had tried various coolers, the tuniq being one, noctua, thermolab baram and titan fenrir among others, none coped as well as the TRUE.

Caporegime
Generally, the H50 is on a par with high end coolers such as the TRUE, but it has the advantage of taking up a lot less space. I can certainly reccomend the viper fans, currently using 2 in push/pull on the TRUE.

Associate
Wouldn't say it is the best air cooler by far! I have a review website where I did my review on it. I am selling mine for about £38 inc (was on MM) as I have a better suited cooler now. It is totally as new, send me amessage in trust if you are interested.

It's a great cooler, if a bit noisy and is suited to Core i7s with it's 5 exposed heatpipes. My review is on Gundog Reviews- Google it.

Associate
Picked up the Spire about a month ago for £40 (£20 cheaper than the H50 & Noctua D14). Pain in the ass to install on an AMD system, but once you get it on you can be very impressed. The 2x fans are loud (like server loud). 2200rpm rated but both of mine were spinning at 2400. After a week I ended up buying a 3way fan controller of Amazon for £10. Its much much better now that i can turn them down when browsing, idleing.
If you dont mind the noise £40 is a bargain for this cooler. Cools my Phenom X4 965 @ 3.8ghz at 35c idle and maxes out at 49c at full load. When playing games it sits at the 42c mark. I was using an Arctic Cooler 64 pro which had it idle at 51c so a 15c drop was awesome in my eyes.
Once again, bitch of an install for AMD users but much much easier for Intel users. Loud fans, I highly reccomend picking up a fan controller for the fans, but if you dont then £40 is a huge steal. Especially when this will keep your CPU within 1-2c (if not cooler than) the Noctua and the H50. Also good if the Noctua doesnt fit in your case as the Spire is 1cm or so smaller on all dimensions.

Last edited:
Associate
Sorry to TTT an old thread but I just wanted to share my experience with this cooler.

Amazing. That's the only way to describe this cooler. As I type this my CPU is at 20C. Haven't tested it on load but that is a good 40C cooler than it was with the stock Intel cooler.

Back
Top Bottom