Gaming / LAN Headset

Associate
Hello,

My SteelSound 5H v2 died a couple a days ago, so im looking for a decent replacement.

After reading some reviews, this is what i found:

SteelSound 7H (coming out somewhere in the next 3/4 weeks)
SteelSound Siberia
Roccat Kave (Not really a fan of Roccat, but might be a good choice?)
Logitech G35 (USB)

I'm using onboard sound of my Gigabyte X58-UD5.
Any advice? Or maybe a Headphone with a seperate mic?

Thnx in advance

Associate
I just bought the new Siberia v2 after my Speedlink Medusa broke and so far I'm really impressed. I loved the original Siberia but the new one is so much comfier and has some pretty nice noise cancellation.

The pull out mic is a pretty cool addition too.

Soldato
Add the Razer Carcharias. Very very good sounding gaming headset, Marsman mentioned in another thread he since discovered they use the same drivers (speakers) as Sennheiser HD555s, so they're up there with real audio headphones in terms of sound quality :)

Associate
Add the Razer Carcharias. Very very good sounding gaming headset, Marsman mentioned in another thread he since discovered they use the same drivers (speakers) as Sennheiser HD555s, so they're up there with real audio headphones in terms of sound quality :)

I have a pair and they do sound amazing.

Soldato
I do not see the point in the G35's or the Kave's. Both are 5.1 headphones, which is rather pointless when you have a motherboard which has Dolby Headphone. The Carcharias' will sound better than any of the headsets mentioned, as they use drivers from proper headphones.

What intrigues me, does the Carcharias headset have angled or not angled drivers? Dolby Headphones works better with headset/phones that have non angled drivers.

Associate
OP
I heard u can switch from 7.1 to Stereo?
But to make a long story short. The headset will be used for Counterstrike (Source) only, and on LAN Events (for the same game).

What is the best choice to go for. I'm NOT planning to buy a seperate soundcard in the future.

Associate
OP
After reading a lot of reviews i have the following headsets/phones left to chose from:

SteelSeries 7H (€ ~80 USB ~100)
Logitech G35 (€ ~90)
Sennheiser PC 280 (€~100)
Sennheiser HD 555 (€ ~90)

The HD 555 has fantastic sound but has an open design which is not ideal for LANs. The PC 280 is sort of a DJ headset but is good for games aswell? Waiting for the 7H worth it?

Some1 that could help me solve this last problem:)

Soldato
Confused at to what the PC280's are. Do you mean HD280? To my knowledge, Sennheiser don't have a PC280 model.

Closed is definitely the way to go, as you say open would not be ideal for LAN parties. I don't think the Sennheiser's mentioned are worth considering in this instance, as they are just headphones. They will sound better than the Steelseries and the Logitech's, but you would require a separate microphone. Being in a noisy environment, you really need a mic close to mouth. I think a clip on would to be too far away, and thus the gain would have to upped to pick up your voice well, which in turn will pick up more noise around you. For LAN's a headset is probably best.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Confused at to what the PC280's are. Do you mean HD280? To my knowledge, Sennheiser don't have a PC280 model.

Closed is definitely the way to go, as you say open would not be ideal for LAN parties. I don't think the Sennheiser's mentioned are worth considering in this instance, as they are just headphones. They will sound better than the Steelseries and the Logitech's, but you would require a separate microphone. Being in a noisy environment, you really need a mic close to mouth. I think a clip on would to be too far away, and thus the gain would have to upped to pick up your voice well, which in turn will pick up more noise around you. For LAN's a headset is probably best.

Yes i mean the HD 280 Pro.
Well im playing like 40-50 hours a week at home probably, but i visit 3-4 LAN's a year. So i don't know what the best decision would be?

Soldato
I'd definately recommend the Sennheiser PC350s or the PC360s. Depending on your price range :p

Don't be silly. How can anyone justify the £150+ price tag for the PC360's. People pay £150 for audiophile headphones, for a headset to cost the same amount of money is almost laughable. It's common knowledge Sennheiser have inflated the price of their gaming headsets beyond what they are worth. They are good, I'm not denying that, but they are certainly not worth what Sennheiser are charging.

Roy Katzenbauer said:
Yes i mean the HD 280 Pro.
Well im playing like 40-50 hours a week at home probably, but i visit 3-4 LAN's a year. So i don't know what the best decision would be?

Even if you do go to only a few LAN parties, if you have a headset that lets in all the noise, it will hamper what you can hear from the headset, especially if you are trying to hear anyone sneaking up on you when all is quiet. At least that how it appears to me. If it were me I'd probably want closed.

Would be interesting to hear from others who go to LAN parties, whether they use open or closed headsets.

Back
Top Bottom