newbie to overclocking..

Associate
Got mine oc'd to 850 1200 with no voltage change.

By the way, would post this on the graphics card catergary, people get most upset if it's not in the relevent place lo, !!

Associate
I quite happily hit 850 core and 1200 memory (not in ccc) without a voltage increase so it should be safe for you to slide them all the way up :D I would do a few tests at the higher end of the sliders (ATi Tool and maybe a benchmark) just to test that it actually is not completely unstable, then just play some games. If it crashes, bring them down a bit but you shouldn't damage anything just from a CCC overclock.

Associate
OP
maxed every thing out on ccc for overclock and had about 15 mins on bc2 these were the results...

currently idleing at 58c for temp

could i get better ? and would it be stable ?

Last edited:
Associate
Use msi afterburner, it will let you alter clocks and fan speed if you wish, i leave the fan setting on auto so it adjusts the fan depending on gpu temp.

Latest version lets you change volts too which it didn't before.

http://www.guru3d.com/

get it in the downloads section at the top of the screen,

with the afterburner you go into settings section and put the gpu temp on the screen whilst testing you oc. plus other handy things too.

Have fun

Soldato
Use msi afterburner, it will let you alter clocks and fan speed if you wish, i leave the fan setting on auto so it adjusts the fan depending on gpu temp.

Latest version lets you change volts too which it didn't before.

Huh - dont you need to flash your 5850 bios to an MSI to change volts (unless it's already an MSI or ASUS)??

I found this guide pretty handy...

http://tech.icrontic.com/articles/overclocking-the-radeon-hd-5850/

...but maybe it's info about bios flashing/volt modding is out of date if kopking is right?

Soldato
I managed to get my Sapphire HD5850 to 900/1200 Mhz on stock voltage using MSi Afterburner. At 99% GPU load the temps don't exceed 62-65C as I have set fan speed to 70% in this temperature range. Also I have set stock settings of 725/1000 Mhz as 2D Profile and 900/1200 Mhz as 3D profile.

On a slightly different note;I was testing both these settings on crysis warhead in 1024X768 screen resolutions using FRAPS and I found that OC settings gave a mere 5-6 FPS more than stock settings. Is this what other people get or should I be getting more?

Also when I exit crysis warhead running on 900/1200 MHZ, I note that the 5850 settings go back to stock values. Is it supposed to happen automatically like that or should the values be staying 900/1200 MHz unless I manually change settings?

Back
Top Bottom