Caught in a trap...

Caporegime
It is certainly in keeping with OCUK's stance towards casual animal violence.

Oh come on. How is that 'casual animal violence'? It's pest control and relatively humane at that. Surely a quick death for the rodent, quicker at least than being eaten by a dog or fox.

By the way, I've never considered OcUK a place that harbours such views towards animals, in fact in general it's entirely the opposite i.e. there are a lot of animal lovers here and animal-related threads often encourage waves of people saying 'awww' and 'cuuute'.

Soldato
Oh come on. How is that 'casual animal violence'? It's pest control and relatively humane at that. Surely a quick death for the rodent, quicker at least than being eaten by a dog or fox.

By the way, I've never considered OcUK a place that harbours such views towards animals, in fact in general it's entirely the opposite i.e. there are a lot of animal lovers here and animal-related threads often encourage waves of people saying 'awww' and 'cuuute'.

There have been various threads over the years, I'm thinking specifically of the ratting with dogs one, where some guy posts graphic pictures of his dogs tearing a rat in half, then when anyone who dares to show anything less than a bloody thirsty KILL KILL KILL attitude, or show even a slight amount of concern for the dignity of an animial, rat or not, those people are soundly riduculed and in that thread in particular various Dons openly supported the posting of these graphic pics on a supposedly family forum.

I suppose I also fall into the category of finding the posting pictures of dead things purely for the lulz a bit suspect.

Caporegime
All of that's fine and I know what you're saying about dubious reasons for posting pics of dead animals. However, none of it confronts what I commented on, which was your accusations of 'casual animal violence'. Hunting and the control of vermin, is not the same as the actions implied by that term.

Soldato
There have been various threads over the years, I'm thinking specifically of the ratting with dogs one, where some guy posts graphic pictures of his dogs tearing a rat in half, then when anyone who dares to show anything less than a bloody thirsty KILL KILL KILL attitude, or show even a slight amount of concern for the dignity of an animial, rat or not, those people are soundly riduculed and in that thread in particular various Dons openly supported the posting of these graphic pics on a supposedly family forum.

I suppose I also fall into the category of finding the posting pictures of dead things purely for the lulz a bit suspect.

Lighten up dude, these are disease carrying vermin that you would do exactly the same to should they happily wandering around your cupboards.

This photo is also interesting, well exposed, well processed, and funny.

I'm very surprised at the image quality as well considering that is wasn't taken with an SLR.

Good result all round I'd say.

If people don't like the subject material then at the top left corner of your browser is a back button. :rolleyes:

I'd much prefer they used the 'x' in the top right. :D

Klo

Klo

Soldato
I have no issue with killing rats, its the fact that a picture was taken and then posted on the internet. I may as well post the picture of animal run over in the road.

Man of Honour
Associate
I have no issue with killing rats, its the fact that a picture was taken and then posted on the internet. I may as well post the picture of animal run over in the road.

This is the Photography & Video thread, if you haven't noticed.

As for photographing road-kill, why not? It could actually make for a rather interesting project if you did it well enough and put some thought into it.

@ OP - I actually think it's quite a striking image that portrays a daily aspect of farm life quite well...a future project to bear in mind perhaps?.

Associate
Just becuase he took this photo doesnt mean the rat died for the photo.

I think its a funny shot indeed, hell if anything this rat has brought laughter and controversy to this thread, id say its doing better than the others that bite the bullet and thats all.

just my opinion

Associate
OP
For people like myself killing vermin is just part of daily life. It's not cruelty or violence, it's just necessary. The shot is not gratuitous and this is not the politics forum.

It just made me laugh lol

Do love being able to carry a tiny little camera to capture what would otherwise be missed :)

Associate
There should be no restrictions to what you can post photographically in these forums; that said, I don't particularly like the shot at all, I think its a bit sick. But at the same time, others really like it, so completely respect that. Thats all part of photography.

Soldato
There should be no restrictions to what you can post photographically in these forums; that said, I don't particularly like the shot at all, I think its a bit sick. But at the same time, others really like it, so completely respect that. Thats all part of photography.

In a photography sense no, but OcUK are a business and need to protect their reputation and perhaps even legal interests and we need to remember that.

Perhaps if popular a happier medium would be a sub-forum for more 'edgy' material might be considered?

As to the photo, as someone who grew up on a farm killing and shooting mice and rats, it doesn't upset me in the least. The photo itself does go some-way to capture the sense of achievement (for want of a better word) when another of these pests are eliminated. I can fully appreciate that many would find it upsetting though.

Associate
It's not the fact that a Rat has died that concerns me, I understand that some animals need to be controlled, I used to shoot regularly myself.

What bothers me is the fact that fun is being made of the animals expression at point of death. As a country person myself, I was always taught that respect for all animal life is paramount, especially when you're taking that life.

It's not respectful of that animal at the end of the day, which is the problem I have with it, all it was guilty of was trying to exist. The image is at worst distasteful, at best immature...

Sorry to come over all 'buddhist' just there, but it's how I feel.

I've actually read a photobook of roadkill pictures and very interesting it was too, highlighting the issue of the huge cost to wildlife of our road network.

What it never did, was 'lol' at the unfortunate dead animals.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom