• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3D Vision

Associate
Hi all,

Was wondering if anyone here currently uses the Nvidia 3d vision glasses. I have been looking into it recently and come to the conclusion i would need to look at upgrading my current graphics card to get any use from it. Currently i have a 8800GT 512Mb but having not really looked into graphics cards since this was released im at a loss with what would be a decent upgrade and one that would support 3D vision.

Im looking at shelling out on the Acer 3d Monitor (1920x1080 Resolution) So it would need to be a fairly decent card i assume? If anyone here uses the 3D vision, what are your views on it and would you recommend it to anyone else? What cards do you use with it and what are your frame rates like?

Soldato
from what ive read a GTX480 gives a decent effort, I'd give it a nice lil overclock too to get those frames out:) maybe bee can chime in if he sees his thread...

Associate
OP
I hope the GTX480 would be decent considering the price tag!! It does kinda suck that this tech is limited to the Nvidia cards... i was looking more at the GTX285 to be honest but even then its still a fairly large price tag hopefully can find one 2nd hand.

Soldato
IMO mate this is an all or nothing situation, if you're going to do it, do it properly. You are already considering £300 for the monitor remember...

If you like putting the newest games anywhere near high/max settings you'll need all the grunt you can get, it's also a justified reason to have multiple GPU's in sli, tho tri-sli doesn't exactly work...

Whats the rest of your system specs? Is your mobo SLI compatible?
Maybe try and get a GTX470 for <£280 and if you can, clock it to get it closer to stock GTX480 performance...I wouldn't spend money on the 285 it's older gen and enough for current games in 2D but not 3D

Soldato
What a carry on, it will cost your a fortune for what is IMO a fad, I can see the interest in it on a 40" display but a 24" monitor nah.

So £400 for an 480, £300 monitor and £130 for the 3D kit, why not just buy a 40" 3D TV lol.

Associate
OP
Sadly no SLi as im on a P45 chipset, my system specs are as follows:

Q6600 @ 3.8Ghz
Asus P5Q Pro
2Gb PC 8200 Ballistix
Corsair TX 750W

I hate to agree but you are right... not so much i hate i think my wallet does :p. Think it might be worthwhile till there is more choice in terms of monitor and the next gen of cards are out to make things a bit cheaper.

Caporegime
Simples. Look at reviews where they test with the games you play, deduct 50 to 60% for using 3dvision and you will end up with your fps.

If that's high enough then you know which card to buy.

Although it has being claimed by quite a few on here that 30 fps in 3d looks as good as 60fps none 3d but I can't comment on that.

Caporegime
I hope the GTX480 would be decent considering the price tag!! It does kinda suck that this tech is limited to the Nvidia cards... i was looking more at the GTX285 to be honest but even then its still a fairly large price tag hopefully can find one 2nd hand.

ATI has 3d as well now. ;)

Soldato
What a carry on, it will cost your a fortune for what is IMO a fad, I can see the interest in it on a 40" display but a 24" monitor nah.

So £400 for an 480, £300 monitor and £130 for the 3D kit, why not just buy a 40" 3D TV lol.

You do make me laugh Raven, I take it you've had first hand experience with the 3D vision kit?

I could guarantee that if ATi had got a decent 3D kit out before Nvidia you'd be all over it like a fly to ****, and it would be the greatest technology in the world :p

But obviously as it's Nvidia that have a great product here it must be a fad ;)

Anyway to the OP, yes IMO it's most definately worth it, I play the majority of my games now in 3D, the extra immersion is nothing short of mindblowing.

All my mates that I have shown it to have also been equally impressed, so much so that a couple of the more wealthy ones have decided to invest heavily in Nvidia based machines.

I would suggest if you can to try it out first, as a minority of people have complained of headaches caused by the added depth 3D brings.

However I'm inclined to think that these are the people that have just whacked the depth level up or messed around with the convergence straight away before letting their eyes adjust.

The only other problem with 3D gaming that I can think of is of course the cost, but only you can answer that question?

You will need a minimum of a couple of GTX 260 cards or one new 4** series card to be able to run the latest games with most of the eye candy enabled @ 1080p.

Having said that a lot of older games will run fine in 3D on a decent single 2** series card.

Soldato
ATI has 3d as well now. ;)

ATi's incarnation is still in its infancy and needs 3rd party drivers to get it working.

From what I've read it's nowhere near as polished and supported as Nvidia's solution, having said that I've obviously not used it, so perhaps somebody using 3D on an ATi card could chime in?

Soldato
It's not Nvidia only anyway. You've been able to do it with either manufacturer for longer than the 3D Vision kit has been out anyway.

Use 3rd party iZ3D or TriDef drivers, with say a 5850 - which'll have excellent fps, and be able to make use of 3D. Samsung, and others too, do 3D shutter glasses, or there is the Zalman 3D way - the interlaced output - much like the cinema, which means you'll only need £5 glasses.

bee

bee

Associate
pretty much sums it up

dunno how you haven't got them all on ignore by now, every single nvidia thread it's the same, i wish quotes didn't show up aswell :(

anyway i agree that 3D vision is amazing and well worth the price of admission, much more impressive than something like dx11's tesselation which so far has managed to make soldiers pockets look better :rolleyes:

have you tried the stone giant benchmark in 3D btw? i show that one 1st to everyone who comes round to try it and they've always been amazed by it and then follow up with some metro 2033. just played through i hate mountains last night in 3D and it was just awesome from start to finish (shame about the bug that needs alt tab to fix though)

cost is surely an issue but then it always has been with pc gaming especially at the cutting edge, which i believe 3D to be. if you don't wanna spend that much then maybe get a ps3 and a monitor and wait for the upcoming 3D firmware update, but the pc will be way ahead in 3D for the forseeable future purely because it's got the raw grunt to run the games at full res/settings/framerate rather than the consoles half resolution or half framerate approach to 3D

ati has 3D sure, but nvidia is so far ahead right now its hardly competition. ati needs either tri def or iz3d drivers and of the 2 only iz3d has extremely limited dx10/11 support, so if you wanna play the newest/best looking 3D games nvidia is your only option right now

Soldato
have you tried the stone giant benchmark in 3D btw? i show that one 1st to everyone who comes round to try it and they've always been amazed by it and then follow up with some metro 2033.

Pretty much the same sort of demo I give, along with the Medusa 3D demo, L4D, Avatar and Just Cause 2.

If they're into driving games a quick rendition of Race 07, Test drive unlimited and Grid also ensues, with the G25 of course, you really can't beat the wheel as well as 3D :D

Associate
OP
Sadly i dont really have anyway to get my hands on this without buying it myself. I think the solution might be to linger around the MM on here and wait for a GTX 4 series to go up on sale until then i will just wait.

Thanks for your input coupe69 and Bee always good to hear from people actually using it and you kinda make me want to say ah well and plop £800 down for it just now :p. Though i cant really do that... dont have that sort of money lying around.

Associate
I would never give up using 3d now. I had a gtx 260. I bought a 5870 and 3d vision at the same time. My thinking, play the older games,max settings, in 3d with good framerates. Use the 5870 for the newest games in 2d with good framerates.
Well, for the 4-5 months i had a 5870, i hardly ever used it. Gaming on the 260 in 3d was just as amazing as when i got my orchid righteous 3dfx card.
I couldnt play Just cause 2, Metro 2033, Battlefield bad company 2 at max details in 3d.
However, these games did not get played on the 5870.
There is a problem with 3d, it is a massive step up from 2d gaming. So what happened to me. I could play all games except for the few listed above and of course Crysis at acceptable framerates in 3d. I was in gaming heaven, however when some of the more recent games started to release, i could no longer play at max settings. Instead of using my 5870 to play at max settings in 3d, i put them to the side for a couple of months and waited for the 480 release. I HAD to play these games at highest settings (2xaa atleast), they woould be amazing. I got the 480, threw it in and was blown away by the 3 ive listed. They didnt dissapoint, even at the 480's ridiculous pricetag.
So, from my experience, i think that even an oc 260 with a pretty big back catalogue of games that work well with 3d vision is a far better gaming experience than having the latest 2d games running smooth in 2d. The games that the 260 couldnt handle with max settings, were still a far better experience with sliders lowered, than max detail 2d.
I think that to be able to play all games max settings with 4x+aa, you will always need the two top of the range cards. Waiting for the next cards to come, means you do without this amazing tech, and when they do come out, you have the same problem because newer even more demanding games are already out.
There are some downsides. I really like fps games. Problem is when i play multiplayer, i dont play as well as in 2d. I think this might be because it takes a split second longer to aim when your focusing at different depths.
Another is not all games work perfectly. Some games eg crysis are unplayable. Some games have small glitches eg gta4 (you have to turn off shadows as they are rendered at screen depth), that are still awesome and a lot better than the 2d alternative. Some have small glitches but are rendered unplayable in my mind eg fear 2 (almost perfect, except crosshair is at screen depth, so it doubles up when aiming at depth).

Phil.

Last edited:
Soldato
phil can you just got over how crosshair problems are sorted out with 3d? isn't there an nvidia crosshair or something?

are they going to go through older games to make them work better or will they only do this for new titles?

cheers

Back
Top Bottom