Check my CV

Soldato
I've recently been made redundant and editing my CV. Not sure if I should include the 'skill matrix' or the 'career highlights' part. I added the career highlights part and edited the skill matrix but 4 pages might be too long.

There isnt much writing/waffle but could chop it down some more

Thanks

http://www.2shared.com/file/uBJ6uwbL/CV_online.html

edit - the link is here---- Save file to your PC: click here----
not any of the other rubbish

Soldato
Its too long as should be a maximum of 2 pages,
I would cut it down to your last 3 jobs,
Remove the skills matrix,
Career highlights is also too long.

Soldato
OP
thanks. Ive cut out the skill matrix and older jobs.

Its now 2 and half pages. Career highlights is still a page. How could I cut this down? (if i need to)

Man of Honour
Your nationality is British, not White British. That is your self designated ethnicity, which isn't required.

Saying that, get rid of that whole bit.

Edit: Actually, at the top you only really need the driving licence bit. Get rid of the rest.

edit2: you don't need the bit "The following grades were achieved:-" under GCSEs.

Edit3: Skills matrix is still there on my version, like has been said, get rid of it.

Edit4: You used PowerPoint for user manuals? Oh dear.

Soldato
OP
ta. scrapped white and got rid of sex part, got rid of following grades and skill matrix is gone. I did use powerpoint because that what the project manager wanted, got rid of that so it just says users manuals created

Soldato
Looks good to me and what everyone else has suggested. If you are lacking in space perhaps cut out the Interests and Hobbies and keep it brief to a few lines. You could always elaborate further another time.

Someone having a skim read really won't give two monkies where you have been skiing and what you enjoy in your personal life. Keep the bit about what sports you like and the weight training (good for showing goals + dedication).

Keeping it to two pages is ideal I think.

Soldato
Is it common to put "7 GCSE's" on a CV rather than individually list them? And why do you put references available on request rather than just putting them on the CV to begin with?

Soldato
OP
Is it common to put "7 GCSE's" on a CV rather than individually list them? And why do you put references available on request rather than just putting them on the CV to begin with?

They take too much space up and are worth sweet FA. Unless you have 10 A* then put something like 10 GCSEs at A* grade.

Not sure why having 'references on request' is better either

edit - thanks gambitt, I scrapped off the skill martix all together, will think about putting some of it back as you have listed then shorten the education part. My housemate got advice from a few people and his CV opens with a personal statement. To me it just looks like a load of waffle that people will start reading then think "screw it, too long" and bin it

Last edited:
Soldato
You're correct, waffle is bad on a CV. I think the skills matrix is a good idea though. Whoever is going through 500 CVs that get sent in for a role will only skim through the first page looking for keywords that relate to the role.

My personal statement is short, only 3 lines and states my profession in bold followed by the the biggest company I've worked for recently. So something like "C# Developer with 10 years experience, last 4 years for major IT consultancy firm XXXX Ltd."

Soldato
Thanks gambitt. Ive re-done it, didnt really know how to condense the career highlights as they are pretty condensed as they are. take a look
I would drop the British bit, it's not really relevent.

I would also change the bold keywords (e.g. Vista) to italics instead.

You really need to make it more active/take ownership. "Active directory management and group policies have been used to make employees work more effectively."... why are you telling me this? Did you do it? If not I don't care.

It also seems very texty, I'm not sure I'd read it all if I had 100s to get through. I also struggle to find any skills on your cv... sell yourself!

" I actively weight train because it is very satisfying to achieve goals through hard work."... because sounds very, very odd there.

Finally it's not references, it is referees.

Sorry for being negative, bad mood.

tl; dr: add skills throughout.

Soldato
OP
changed the bold to italic, i thought it looked a bit add too.

'You really need to make it more active/take ownership. "Active directory management and group policies have been used to make employees work more effectively."... why are you telling me this? Did you do it? If not I don't care.'

To show I can use group policies to make people work faster. e.g. I added and modified office 2007 group policies to change parts of office. So yes, it was me who did it

How about as instead of because?

changed to referees

not negative, i like knowing whats wrong or that might be wrong and how to improve

tl; dr: add skills throughout. - I dont understand that bit

Back
Top Bottom