Thailand - Phuket

Soldato
Has anyone recently come back from here?

Up in arms as to what to do. I leave on the 6th June, g/f does not want to go for obvious reasons.

We were meant to be going to Bangkok for 2 nights and 8 nights in Phuket.

I have the option should advisories still be in place within 7 days of travel I can get a full refund from Kuoni who I booked the holiday with.

They will prob suggest just going to Phuket for the duration of the holiday, somewhat annoying, but potentially tolerable if it's 100% safe.

What would you do?

Soldato
Didnt go to Phuket but not long come back from Koh Samui and there wasnt any sign of trouble at all. 100% safe and we were out there when the foreign office said not to go to Thailand at all.

I would be happy to go out there now if I had a ticket

Soldato
I got back 2 weeks ago. And I'd go back now, no question whatsoever.

I felt totally safe when I was in BKK, and phuket there won't even be any sign of trouble at all. You'd be a fool for cancelling tbh.

I went BKK -> Koh Sammet -> Phuket -> Koh Phi Phi -> Phuket ->BKK.

No trouble at all. Stop being a pansy. ;)

Soldato
It'll be fine, the problem has blown over. A friend who lives in BKK and works in what was the problem district is back at work tomorrow.

The political problems only affect BKK, and usually only a ripe target such as the airport or the commercial district.

Soldato
I struggle to see why people think the word "Poo-ket" is funny. Wait, I know, it's because they're pronouncing the ph as "F". Probably whilst grinning inwardly at how much they know about thailand...

Associate
Skull, you know having a gap year in Thailand makes you in no way interesting or unique, right?

Obviously people are aware that is not the correct way to pronounce it. At the same time, it would be in English, and when said like that it is mildly amusing. Get over yourself.

Soldato
Actually people saying "foo-ket" and meaning it is widespread, and it was that ignorance, which I was railing against, rather than deliberate (though trite) wordplay. The lack of a "c" in Phuket would make an "ook" sound in english rather than an "uck" one at any rate.

So whilst a year in Thailand doesn't mean I'm interesting and unique, it does mean I'm informed and (perhaps regrettably) less tolerant of childish and tenuous humour. It also means I'm a £30 plane ride away from Phuket at any one time, which perhaps explains your negativity... ;)

edit: having said that, it would be unfair not to concede that the way I wrote it did make me come across as a right grumpy old git!

Last edited:
Soldato
Sorry to resurrect this thread but I was wondering if peeps out in Thailand or just come back could tell me what its like over there atm?
Planning to fly over at the end of July spending two weeks on Khon Kaen and then down to Phuket etc etc. 4 girls going, think we'll be okay? And is it easy enough to get travel insurance considering recent events?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom