• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgrading PC - some advice please

Associate
Hi chaps,

I am currently upgrading my custom built PC.

This is the kit I have -

geforce 8800gts
intel core 2 duo e8400 @3ghz
motherboard - abit IP35 pro
power pack - cooler master 650w
ram - 2gb corsair

I want to get a better graphics card - and the ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024MB caught my eye.

Questions - is this card compatible with the motherboard and power pack, and will it work with win7 64 bit?

I know this card has an HDMI slot - presumably I would be able to connect directly to TV to play films from the PC?

Also, is the core 2 duo powerful enough to get the most out of it and extra ram?

I would appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Associate
A 5770 will give you quite a boost and it should work on your mobo & psu just fine.

Things you might want to consider as well:

Get 2 more gigs of Ram. It'll help.

Overclock the cpu to 3.6 atleast, 3.8 -4.0 with a decent cooler. I'm sure it's begging you to overclock it by now.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
hi guys - tried to overclock the way you suggested -

went into BIOS, changed to user defined settings, changed to 450 x 8 (3600), pressed
f10 to save, then - PC restarts and I get a long beeping noise and no start up.

Is there anything I have missed? It doesn't seem to be saving the new settings.

Back
Top Bottom