VMWare Player

Soldato
Hi all.

Want to have a play with a few different OS' but I don't want to faff about partitioning disks etc to dual boot so I thought I'd have a go at using a virtual machine, VMWare Player to be precise.

However, I've always been a bit skeptical about this type of software as I'm of the opinion that surely it doesn't work exactly the same as a 'real' install.... but then again I suppose it has to as this is the whole point of them! So is there any difference (apart from slower performance)?

Main use for it will be to learn a bit more about linux, and in particular networking using it. Will VM Player be adequate?

Thanks.

Associate
Have you considered virtualbox? I found it better for Linux guests last time I used a VM that VMware player as it has hardware OpenGL support, VMware player was better at DirectX though. Haven't used 'em for a while so might of changed by now:)

Soldato
I find VirtualBox is generally easier to use. Especially when it comes to bridging network adapters [so the guest can access the interwebs/LAN].

Linux will run fine in a VM and you aren't likely to notice any differences, other than the limits of the virtual hardware.

Soldato
OP
Cool. Thanks for the help guys.

I went for VMWare as I thought this was more popular, so I thought it'd be better to get to grips with it in case I needed to use it for work further down the line. If VirtualBox is better/more popular (or both) then I can have a play with that.

Back
Top Bottom