Iphone 3GS - replacing housing, should I go red?

Soldato
Well... Today I dropped my Iphone and the outer glass cracked and bit fell out onto the floor. I'm going to replace it myself (carefully :p) but it just got me wondering whether I should replace the whole rear casing while Im at it. My Iphone has never had a case or cover so its pretty scratched to be honest. Ive seen a couple of the dark red metallic looking housings and I think they look quite cool in pictures but has anyone seen any in real life?

As for the screen I've seen a UK company that charges £30 with a little kit (opening tool and screwdriver).

Just wondered if anyone had used and ebay sellers or different companies to buy parts from? Did you find it easy to take apart and replace?

Associate
A tip for you, make sure you buy the glass+digitiser together, you don't stand a chance at replacing the glass only, I know as I tried today and it's just not possible to do without damaging the digitiser, I couldnt even separate them even with the help of a heat gun! That is provided the LCD is OK, otherwise just buy a new display assembly, easiest way of doing things.

As for the rear casing, entirely up to you, it's a pain to remove all the parts and move them across and the aftermarket backs arent always great quality and may have a slightly different shape.

Edit - If you have any pics of the damage or any queries on parts by all means ask, if you was closer I would offer to repair it for you as I love taking stuff apart!

Associate
If it doesnt have the digitiser included I would try and get if cancelled/refunded, it really isn't worth wasting time trying to swap them over. Oh one thing with the replacement backs, they don't usually include the chrome bezel AFAIK, and if they do it is usually plastic. Moving your old bezel to new back requires some patience and glueing on the new casing, usually results in damage to the original cover so bear in mind you might not be able to swap back over if you don't like it! Not trying to put you off, just making you aware that it can be a PITA but is perfectly possible to swap backs without damaging your old one, just requires a lot of patience.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160439852639&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Thats the one I bought, Hope it's both?

Edit yeah I did read about the Bezel being a pain. My current back is knackered to be honest and I wouldn't bother changing back. Going to leave the case for now until I have sorted the screen out.

EDIT : Can't get a photo of it just yet, left my camera at the gf's. A little bit of the glass come out leaving the underneath exposed. Im lucky in that its the upper right hand side of the screen so doesn't really affect touch or vision.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom