Nikon D3000 DSLR zoom lens help

Associate
Hi

I have just myself the Nikon D3000 DSLR with the 18-55mm lens. I am after a zoom lens with a budget of £150 if that possible with that budget.

I am not a camera god in any way so please be gentle. ;)

Soldato
I don't know much about Nikon lenses, but i think the 55-200 is a decent one for about that price. If you meant telephoto lens. *Zoom just means that it isn't a fixed focal length (Prime)

Last edited:
Soldato
Also interested in this but curious as to whether you can get one with VR and auto focus (that will work with the D3000)

Caporegime
Sigma 10-20 is nice for wide angles, try to look second hand to get one within budget. There other wide angle options but the original Sigma is usually the cheapest.

Soldato
The lens you have is a "Zoom" lens.

Sigma 10-20 is nice for wide angles,

This will zoom out further then you're current lens. Letting you fit more in your picture.

I don't know much about Nikon lenses, but i think the 55-200 is a decent one for about that price.

This will let you zoom in closed to subjects so you can photograph stuff from further away.

You could also consider replacing you're existing lense with something like a 18-200. This will cover the same zoom range as your current camers but then carry on zooming in further.

When shopping for lenses for the D3000 you need to look for AF-S on Nikon branded lenses. If you looking at Sigma, makes sure the have HSM. This is because not all cameras have a motor built in and instead use a motor built into the body (which isn't fitted to the D3000).

Associate
I have a D3000 and you can get the Nikon 55-200 VR for £128 including next day delivery I have one. If your looking to get a 70-300 then I would get the Sigma APO lens instead as it comes out on top in the reviews over the Tamron. You can get them for £160 delivered.

I'm getting one myself as I've broken my 55-200 Lens.

Associate
If your looking to get a 70-300 then I would get the Sigma APO lens instead as it comes out on top in the reviews over the Tamron.

i have this in canon fit, and have to agree. for the money its a very nice lens. that said, the autofocus is kind of slow and noisy. (its what you expect from cheap lenses to be honest. optically i cant fault it)

for reference, i took the recent set of cute fluffy cygnets which i posted with it handheld.

Back
Top Bottom