30 yrs old - too old to learn something new and enter career?

Soldato
30 yo (still training) as a surveyor with the bleak possibility of losing my job. is it too late to enter another career and train again?

Bar

Bar

Soldato
Get a job as a business analyst - the quality I have seen in the last couple of years makes me think they gained their knowledge from reading the back of weetabix packets...

Soldato
Not at all - just make sure you know what the consequences will be.

We've got a great PM here who was in the army until about 30, then did an army funded degree and worked at a bank before coming here.

Soldato
I was wondering exactly this the other week. At the age of 30 and with a wife & child who depend on my income, is it feasable to give up accountancy for a career that I don't hate?

Trouble is I don't know what it is I want to do. When I was a kid all I wanted to be was a helicopter pilot or a police officer but I was too shortsighted to do either. I chose my A-levels with a view to engineering but after 8 A & 2 B grade GCSEs I had a bad time at sixthform and came out with a D in Physics and a B in Media Studies. I wasn't attracted by university at the time as I'd fallen out with education and wanted to work for a while. Now here I am, 12 years later a part qualified accountant who hates almost every minute of his working life.

Soldato
I switched at 26, went into teaching, hated it even more now unemployed.

Don't make these decisions lightly guys!!!! I'm a warning to you :(

I'm now looking to get a job at McD's and save every penny to do a masters in Hydrographic surveying in 2011, aligned with my original degree.

Lucky I have no depends.

Soldato
I switched at 26, went into teaching, hated it even more now unemployed.

Don't make these decisions lightly guys!!!! I'm a warning to you :(

I'm now looking to get a job at McD's and save every penny to do a masters in Hydrographic surveying in 2011, aligned with my original degree.

Lucky I have no depends.

May I ask why you hated teaching?

ntg

ntg

Associate
It depends on what career you want to pursue I guess. Keep in mind that there are hordes of grads and recently fired professionals from all across the board looking for jobs (any job) so competition is absolutely fierce.

The best option would be to keep some kind of backup while you are making the switch that will provide you with some kind of steady monthly income..

It's hard but I know how you feel, I'm in the process of doing the same trying to move into finance (with quite a lot of qualifications but no banking/finance work exp) and I have been sorely dissapointed by the lack of opportunities so far - but I keep trying, something will turn up eventually!

Associate
My Dad was about your age when he was doing a degree, had a full time job, and my brother had just been born!

And I look at my dad now who is the laziest person and wonder how he did it!

I'm sure you can ;)

Back
Top Bottom