Sending a lens...

Caporegime
Just sold my 300 f/4 (obligatory :() but not sure how to post it. I was thinking stick it in it's box and wrap the box up in an inch of bubblewrap?

Not enough? Too much?

Soldato
I would pack it as well as humanly possible so that if it is knocked (likely) the bubble wrap will absorb most of the impact. Saying that though I always over protect items I send just to ensure there are no issues :)

Associate
Personally, I would find a box a good 4 to 6 inches bigger all round than the lens box, and then pack it round with polystyrene filler, that's how my lenses have arrived from shops, and how I post them.

Check also that the courier you're using actually insures camera lenses (you are sending it insured I presume?) as many don't. Those that do will often only cover them for loss, not damage.

Interlink is a company I use, they will cover camera lenses for damage also.

Caporegime
OP
I was wondering about a box first but 1. not sure if I have one the right size and 2 I wasn't sure if it was a bit overkill. :p

The lens itself is in a hard leather case (and i'll bubblewrap inside that too but i'll go see if I can find a box...

Yeah, going to send it RMSD so it'll be insured up to £500.

Caporegime
OP
Right, managed to find a box a little bigger than the lens box so stuffed the difference with bubblewrap and paper. :)

Caporegime
I also bubble wrapped the inside of the box when I sent one recently. I bought a second hand lens recently that even though it was well wrapped ended up taking a knock in the post (most likely) and I had to send it back because the IQ was all over the place :(

It's put me off ever buying a second hand lens again that I cannot pick up and test in person.

Back
Top Bottom