Dell Streak?

Soldato
I find my iPhone 3GS is a little small to surf, mainly on here. It can be difficult to post replies etc.

I am thinking of moving to a Dell Streak rather than getting an iPad or TabletPC.

Any owners of the Streak here who have moved from the iPhone and do you recommend it?

Also is it any good generally?

Man of Honour
It does seem pretty good generally, as suggested give the review a read.

Slightly too big for me, that said I doubt it would bother me too much.

Man of Honour
I have no idea why they didn't put 2.1 on it, although they are going to update it fairly soon apparently, but it's Dell so who knows :(

Soldato
nothing majorly wrong with 1.6 and 2.1 will be on it soon. its too big imo though

OP just get a phone that doesnt have a 2 year old screen resolution and then browsing here on it will be superb

Associate
Well Modaco has rooted it already, and Dell Netbooks seem to have a good reputation for mod-tastic hardware. I'm seriously tempted myself.

There is a red-backed version coming in two weeks. Buy that one ;)

I don't think its too big personally, its not too much bigger than an HTC HD2, and I don't wear skinny emo jeans so all is well there :p

For me I was hoping for a bigger battery, its the same size as the one in the Desire :(

Soldato
OP
I want the bigger screen as I was thinking of getting a tablet or ipad, but if the streak is superior to the ipone for browsing and usign this forum then I would just rplace the iphone totally. It would be more cost effective also.

GeX

GeX

Soldato
[TW]Fox;16713686 said:
Had a play with one. Liked it, but:

a) Android 1.6? What?

moot point, if it were 1.5 then it'd more :( but having the latest version of Android isn't the be all and end all. Regardless, iirc it will be getting 2.2 later in the year anyway.

[TW]Fox;16713686 said:
b) It's such a silly size. Too big really.

the OP stated they wanted something a bit bigger than a phone

Associate
The lack of RAM (vs. the Nexus One and Desire) worries me. It looks like a good device but is 400mb enough?

Storage
ROM
512 MB
RAM
512 MB
Expansion slot
1 user accessible MicroSD™ cardslot expandable to 32GB
Internal memory
2GB (for system & applications files only - not user accessible)

On o2 you get a 16gigcard installed.

Associate
I've had mine since Sunday. I really like it and for browsing it is better that any phone I've ever used. Android OS is great (but I do also have a Hero so I am used to it). There's no way you'd want to hold it to your head as a phone so make sure you have a Bluetooth headset or get it on a data only package.

There is one bad thing and it could be a deal breaker. The battery is atrocious although I have read elsewhere that it is better than expected. I am taking it off charge at about 0600-0700 not using it much at all, and NO multimedia processor burning stuff, and it has run out of power by mid afternoon for the last three days. Yesterday I saw the percentage go down by 7 percent in about 20 minutes of browsing at work. I have removed everything I've installed and made sure no widgets are running so as I can test it for a couple of days but of this continues it's going to have to go back. It's made worse by the fact you can't get a spare charger anywhere as Dell saw fit to use a proprietary connector.

In short I would say if you've almost made your mind up and can't wait then go for it. If you can wait I'd leave it for a couple of weeks to see if the battery conditions itself and improves and see what other people say as it starts getting used by a wider crowd.

Back
Top Bottom