Free application to change bitrate of wav file (down to 128kbps)

Soldato
Hi there,

Now usually I use audicity for this sort of stuff however it seems to be failing me in this instance, I have some wav files that are in 32-bit format @ 705kbps bitrate, I need to lower these to 8-bit 128kbps to get them to work on our VoIP system as audio annoucements. Re-recording isnt an option as we payed for them to be pre-recorded a year ago, then I converted them a year ago with what I thought was Audicity, but it couldnt have been. I can only seem to reduce them to 8-bit 356kbps in audicity and no lower.

Does anyone know where I can get an app where this will work without any hickups? or equally if anyone knows how to reduce it further in audicity, that would be good.

Help greatly appriciated

Last edited:
Associate
As far as i can remember, the bitrate of wav is simply the sample rate in khz * bit depth * number of channels.
So, if you want 128kbps, then you can either have 8 bit, 16khz sample rate and 1 channel, or 8bit 8khz sample rate stereo. I would suggest the former, an 8khz sample rate will sound awful, plus i don't think audacity can go that low.

To save as 16khz and 8bit in audacity, simply take the mono track in audacity, set the sample rate to 16khz in the box next to the track, and then set the project sample rate at the bottom left of the screen to 16khz also. Then select export, and change the file type to other uncompressed files. Then click the options button and select header: microsoft wav and type: unsigned 8 bit wav.

Then simply export it to wherever you want.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom