• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

CPU Temp advice on new pre built.

Jup

Jup

Associate
As the title says I have just bought a pre built Machine from Overclockers http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-252-OK last week.
When I got the machine one of the first things I wanted to check was the CPU temps so I installed Core temp and was pretty worried to see temps between all cores sitting between 72c - 98c. I phoned overclockers who gave me an RMA number, collected the system so they could get it sorted.
Well today I got the machine back so I booted up and first thing I check is the CPU temps again. Here is what Core temp is reading...

Yup my paint skills are crap:/

Is Core temp giving me the correct temps, because even for a novice like myself this seems to be way out of whack. Appreciate any help, thanks.

Jup

Jup

Jup

Associate
OP
Hi RJC, I just opened the case and the cooler is a Fenrir Titan and it is literally wiggling about when I touch it. I have never installed a cooler before, are they tricky to reinstall or is it fairly straight forward? Just don't want any bother from Overclockers if I have to return the machine again.
Oh the CPU temp in the bios was 98c btw.

Cheers

Jup

Jup

Jup

Associate
OP
Thanks again for the quick reply and the link RJC. I took the cooler of no problem and fitted it back on, it felt a tighter but there is still a fair bit of play when you try to wiggle it gently. The temps did go down ...

I guess this confirms that it is indeed the cooler that's the issue? What temps should I be seeing if the cooler is working normally, and are all coolers generally this noisey? Really appreciate the help.

Cheers

Jup

RJC

RJC

Don
No probs, temps seem high still, but a lot better than 100c :eek:
The fan is probably running flat out.

As the cooler was removed I suspect new thermal paste may need to be cleaned and re - installed, how hard was the cooler screwed down, sometimes you need that little extra, but not too much - if you see what I mean ;)

Associate
Well at 100c the cpu will have started to throttle and then thermal shutdown soon after hopefully(if need be).

And the cooler noise is likely only high because it is running at full speed trying to cool the cpu.

Your temps still seem too high to me, but I'd say the only way to fix this would be to clean and reapply the thermal paste.

I'm guessing OcUK are fitting the cooler fine, but it is getting knocked loose when getting delivered. I'd contact OcUK and ask about warranty if you reseat it yourself.

Jup

Jup

Associate
OP
Quick update and a bit of advice if anyone can. I returned my PC to Overclockers and it has come back, temps are now..

Are these temps ok or should I be seeing lower? Appreciate any help, thanks.

Jup

Jup

Jup

Associate
OP
Hi RJC, yes the high temp is when I am play COD MW2 don't know how much load the game puts on the cpu's. Should i try running a bench to stress it further?

Thanks for the help

Jup

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom