vm cable working fine on mac laptop but just plugged modem into win7 pc and no net...

Soldato
hi all, i had my virgin 50 meg installed a month ago and have only been using it on my laptop. Just put together my pc rig, installed win 7 and plugged the modem into the pc via ethernet but i'm getting no connection. It tries, but settles on 'unidentified network' with no internet access. I've tried both ethernet ports on the pc. It's an abit ip35 pro motherboard. Am i missing something glaringly obvious?

Soldato
hi all, i had my virgin 50 meg installed a month ago and have only been using it on my laptop. Just put together my pc rig, installed win 7 and plugged the modem into the pc via ethernet but i'm getting no connection. It tries, but settles on 'unidentified network' with no internet access. I've tried both ethernet ports on the pc. It's an abit ip35 pro motherboard. Am i missing something glaringly obvious?

Have you told Windows to search for new networks? I think it's in the network properties advance settings, you need to enable network discovery.

Andi.

Soldato
open up the start menu and type "cmd" without the quotations in to the search box then hit enter.

once you have a dos box open, type ipconfig and paste the output in to this thread :)

Soldato
OP
enabled network discovery and rebooted but no luck...

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Row>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::10dc:e2b6:9b92:8c8e%11
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.140.142
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Tunnel adapter isatap.{B08696AC-D3F7-4094-BF0F-F1A53710B5A1}:

Tunnel adapter isatap.{569B4AFC-B68A-4107-A0C1-9B75AB039763}:

Associate
You need to switch the cable modem off, and leave it off for a good 30 seconds so it loses the association with the MAC address of your laptop. Should be good to go after that.

Edit: didn't you get a router to use with the service?

Soldato
OP
thanks, that did the trick. I didn't realise i had to reboot the modem when switching between different computers.

they didn't send me a router cos of the volcano. i've been chasing them up and today i was told 'about a week' which is lovely and vague! gRRRR!!

Associate
nearly all of the virgin media broadband services are limited to one piece of cpe, if you want a swift unplug/replug method clone the mac address of one of the machines over to the other and will allow you to hotplug the 2.

either that or reset the CM whenever changing the equipment. Only business connections and some very old legacy playstation/xbox packages are known to have a less stringent cpe policies.

Back
Top Bottom