It's started already

Soldato
Gunmen rob World Cup journalists

Three journalists covering the World Cup have been robbed in their South African hotel.

Portuguese photographer Antonio Simoes was held down in his bed at gunpoint for 30 minutes while two
thieves stole £25,000 of camera equipment at the Nutbush Boma Lodge in Magaliesburg, 75 miles from Johannesburg....

http://news.uk.msn.com/world/articles.aspx?cp-documentid=153706198

Caporegime
SSN were reporting about travel from the airport to Rustenburg and how difficult it will be....£200 for a taxi from the airport to the stadium:eek: but thats if your lucky to find one...although the WC organisers have laid on buses to get people to and from the stadiums etc.

God knows why the WC is being held in S Africa...its a pretty dangerous country but hopefully it will go off without too much of a hitch.

Soldato
Gunmen rob World Cup journalists

Three journalists covering the World Cup have been robbed in their South African hotel.

Portuguese photographer Antonio Simoes was held down in his bed at gunpoint for 30 minutes while two
thieves stole £25,000 of camera equipment at the Nutbush Boma Lodge in Magaliesburg, 75 miles from Johannesburg....

http://news.uk.msn.com/world/articles.aspx?cp-documentid=153706198

Sounds like an excuse to me. He was blatantly out on the beers all night and lost his camera(s).

Bes

Bes

Soldato
God knows why the WC is being held in S Africa...its a pretty dangerous country but hopefully it will go off without too much of a hitch.

What? Don't the Africans deserve a shot at being a host? Or should it only be the preserve of the 'civilised' world?

I am in Johannesburg right now, and there are a lot of misconceptions/ scaremongering. Yes it IS dangerous, but I lived there for 15 months without ever getting robbed/ shot at/ whatever else St Louis told you happens down here.

Man of Honour

That's a bit short. As said above it's successfully hosted two world cups in recent times, one right after the end of segregation which would probably have been the most dangerous time.

Caporegime
Every city in the world has area's you wouldn't go into and criminals who can pop up anywhere. Rich people get robbed in nice parts of the UK all the time, and anywhere else in the world.

Lets see, the Liverpool team basically gets robbed every time they go out of town for a footie match. Wasn't there a footballer with his mates who was in when gunmen burst in and robbed him, Gerrard had a guy rob them and threaten his kids and family.

Robberies happen, everywhere, there will be parts of cities in South Africa you'd be completely mad to go into and there are parts of London you'd be mad to walk through with a 25k camera around your neck at night, like I wouldn't walk through parts of LA either.

More people will get robbed, I wouldn't be suprised if someone got murdered though to be honest, I expect it will most likely be a drunk pratt who stumbles into the wrong area singing loudly and being a fool.

Then again, we're likely to see more fans creating trouble than South African's, more yobs from multiple countries getting into fights, stabbing each other, drunken riots and drunk crowds breaking things.

Soldato

Yes nasty horrible uncivilised country, at least when we held it we were able to keep the World Cup safe, oh no wait............ :rolleyes:

I've been to South Africa for two Rugby tours (Lions 97 & England 2000), yes there are dangerous places to go but you use common sense and stick together as larger groups. It's an amazing country to see and in general the people are so welcoming and friendly it's unbelievable.

Back
Top Bottom