why slow write speeds on ssd ?

Associate
30883_396073947046_726402046_4717954_4356053_n.jpg

why are my samsung 64gb ssd writes so slow compared to everyone else?

Caporegime
I'm asssuming its a first gen samsung hdd.

IN which case your numbers are poor, but shouldn't be much better. It does seem like the drive is aligned properly(as with the green number with "ok" written next to it. The early sdd's basically had horrible controllers though that meant heavy random read/write usage was awful, better than HDD's in most situations but still horrible.

Now theres two issues, the reads are as expected, to be honest, in AHCImode which you definately want to be using, the 4k 64thrd number should go up, and the writes should aswell but again I can't remember how much. I had a couple of them ages ago and I think in AHCI they should go up significantly. I think I would get around 7-8mb's with two of them in raid on random writes, the numbers you're getting now are basically mechanical hdd numbers so it should be able to do better.

The main two reasons are, running in IDE mode instead of AHCI, it makes much better use of ordering the writes which improves performance dramatically, and I would think that ssd supports NCQ which won't be enabled unless you have raid/ahci mode enabled and then usually can turn it on via chipset raid/ahci controller application, its been YEARS since I had a Nvidia based mobo so can't remember how you do it.

THe other problem is long term use degrades SSD performance and I very very highly doubt that the early Samsung supports it, its worth checking their website for a firmware update but from what I remember they didn't offer any firmwares for the first drives, nor Trim support which is what can restore performance.

THere are lots of guides around for switching to AHCI mode in bios, you HAVE to play with some registry files in windows before shutting down and changing from IDE to AHCI mode in bios otherwise windows won't load.

Another way to do it(a bit of a pain and not certain) is to install chipset drivers for any 3rd party sata controller, often for e-sata or a couple extra ports, something like silicon image, shut down, put ssd onto the 3rd party controller, change to AHCI mode in bios for the mobo chipset, boot into windows at which point it will install the AHCI drivers, then you can shut down and put the SSD on the normal ports again.

Long term loss in performance on early drives can generally only be fixed by wiping the hard drive every couple months. Just use windows backup and restore options, create a windows image file, reboot into dos, use one of the proper erase programs(secure erase or another one thats out there) wipe the drive completely clean, boot into windows install cd, restore option, restore from image(saved to a different drive) and it will restore windows to the exact same as before. Except on a clean fresh drive.

Associate
I have a first generation samsung ssd, same as you, and to be honest the writes are poor on the samsung.
On a more positive note, at least for you, your reads are better than mine :).

Also your overall score is slightly higher than mine (I got 81) :cool:.

Associate
OP
thank you very much for your detailed response drunkenmaster. you helped me understand a lot about the drive, the only reason why it is in ide mode is because my mobo doesnt support achi :( and its good to no that there wasnt anything wrong with my drive

out of interest shaolin chicken what is your windows 7 experience score ?

Associate
My windows 7 experience index is currently showing as 6.1.

Though the highest I have seen it was 7.0, but the AS SSD benchmark stated that the alignment was bad (strange), so reformated and let windows 7 take care of aligment, but this then lowered the WEI rating to the 6.1 I am now seeing.

Another strange thing was on my previous windows 7 install, when I had the 7.0 WEI, I installed a later driver for my graphics card and this also lowered my WEI score to 6.4.

Associate
OP
that is strange as i to have been having problems with the WEI score with this drive showing just 5.9 :(

and i cant use intel matrix drivers as my board is nvidia

Back
Top Bottom