The computer box

Associate
http://img257.imageshack.us/i/computerbox.jpg/
EDIT: woops, image way too big so removed and placed the link

http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/7883/computerbox.jpg

Above is my next little project. I plan to build custom lighting into my computer controled by an external enclosure for future adaptability. What i have planned so far is:

A.2 sets of blue LED's for case lighting
B.Moving my custom fan switch to this box along with switches to control cathode lights
C.Building in two digital thermometers - one for general in case temperature and one for ambient room temps (already built these)
D. Maybe a passive audio splitter so i can combine tv, comp, radio altogether

anyone got any other ideas to what i could also build in to it? im not sure if i will build a fan controller in as well :confused:

any help and ideas will be greatly appreciated and ill promise lots of pics when i start the project :)

Last edited:
Associate
Ahh electronic diagrams are way over my head lol :o, wish I was nifty with electronics, sorry I can't contribute anything to this but I'll keep my eye on this project, looks good :).

Soldato
I would use Bi-Colour LED's and use the switch to change the polarity. That would be more fun! And also have the power switch.

How about also using it is a breakout box for Molex and External Fans for testing purposes?

Associate
OP
Ahh electronic diagrams are way over my head lol :o, wish I was nifty with electronics, sorry I can't contribute anything to this but I'll keep my eye on this project, looks good :).

Thanks for the support

I would use Bi-Colour LED's and use the switch to change the polarity. That would be more fun! And also have the power switch.

How about also using it is a breakout box for Molex and External Fans for testing purposes?

unfortunatly i cant find bi powered LED's that would be bright enough as they will be for backlighting so they need 2500mcd+. However, i will be able to get red LED's as well (im using a HAF 922). I will put this into it by adding a row of LED's on the "off" position of the switches This will be able to change the colours then an overall on off switch for the Lights.

I like the idea of making it into a test box for molex.

so far the features will include:
-Blue/red internal light changer
-system and ambient room temperature
-external molex and fan connector
-possible e-sata link
-fan power switch - see this thread: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18141141

any other ideas let me know!

Associate
OP
Design Update

had a little fiddle with the schematics for the LED wiring and got as follows:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Ive also done a small sketch to show what the final product should look something like:

The box itself is molded ABS with an aluminium top which will be engraved with relevant details as shown above

I will be using two of these thermometers (got them off an aquatics/reptilian store thus the name) these will be embeded into the aluminium panel

I have been thinking of a way to connect this to the computer easy(so i can transport the computer) I came up with the idea of using similar connectors to the DVI ports on the back of the box. This will connect via braided cable to an adapted PCI slot into my comp. This will allow the box to be quickly removed and reassembled.

Im now in the stage of sourcing all the parts which i should be able to get over the next week or so. I was considering building a PSU to use as a flatbed but this started to complicate things (added weight and finding large enough enclousure). When i get the box i will update with pics:)

Associate
OP
got most of the stuff i needed today. Unfortunatly the store i went to did not have enough LED's so i will have to order these online. By the time pay comes through to the bank i expect another couple of weeks until i can start the build. For now im gonna start measuring up all the components.

back in a week or two!

Associate
OP
that is one sweet keyboard but if im honest i don't have the skills or equipment to do anything like that. However, i will be taking up the opportunity to add multiple colours in. So far im using red and blue but i think ill add green yellow and maybe white into the mix. However, as i want the lighting to compliment the case more subtly i wont use the flashing type.

One current issue that im facing is the amperage of the wire im using. I plan to get some bigger guage wire for the fan switches (one of my fans runs at 3A whilst the wire im using only handles up to 1.4A)

All this will be ordered next friday.

UPDATE:

Got the box set up ready for cutting. slight change of plan so that i will have the two temperature readouts onn the left of the panel one above the other. The top right quarter will be specifically for the lighting whilst the bottom right quater for the fan switches and finally the fan slots and molex connections on the front side or the right side panel.

Im gonna be making final decisions on how im placing the switches etc.

There are also a couple of problems i have found and wondered if anyone had any ideas:

1. I was going to pucnh the labeling of the switches into the front panel but its too thick - any ideas on how to all labelling to an alluminium panel?

2. One of each colour LED will be built into the panel to use as a light source, however, there brightnes will damage eyesight if viewed straight on anyone know how to make a diffuser to spread the light a bit?

3. Looking for a way to stick a plastic to sheet aluminium without much contact area anyone got suggestions on glues or other sticky stuff?

Part from this its all going well atm i may be getting teh dremel out to start cutting the two lcd display holes :D

Associate
OP
Just ordered some more bits:
red, blue, green and white LED's
resistors, mounting board and an extra switch

im also filling down the front panel cut outs for the thermometer displays. Once the extra parts come i should be able to finish the project off and give it a test run. I have also decided not to include the molex/fan connectors due to the added complexity of mounting them. I hope to get some pictures in soon.

Associate
OP
Build Update

heya everyone, just an update for what ive been doing the past two weeks.

All the parts have been ordered (and have arrived apart fromthe blue LED's which have no eta).

The bits so far:

However i have built the computer cable:

And have put a start into adding all the required switches for the build:

The two holes to the left of the panel are for the themometer displays which will be slightly raised out from the rest of the panel. Doing a dry fit i noticed a few gaps from my dodgy cuts but it is better than i expected.

I have to say though that the cable was a pain in the backside, it was the equivalant braiding a 24 pin mobo cable but soldering as you go.

My next step is to migrate the switches from the old box that i made into the new one. From this i will be able to size the bottom three holes and complete the front panel. I can then flip it over and make all the connections in the box.

From this i will then construct the pci cover and start wiring the LED's into place.

Will update when i can:D

Associate
OP
Subscribed. I wish I had the skill/time to do something like this. Currently the furthest I'm looking to reach is to mod a CM-690 II to turn off/on the LEDs on 2 Enermax fans with the external switch.

thank you for the praise. I believe you will be fine by using a 10A DPDT toggle switch to be safe. Don't bother with the lighted ones that way its easier to wire. Good luck with your project!

Nice progress, bet the cable was a PITA :D, looking good :).

you have no idea. Mucked up some of the pins so that the pins don't actually match - just got to remember the right ones to connect up

Last edited:
Associate
OP
UPDATE

made some progress today,

Here i have finished sizing the holes and peeling off the protective layer. I made the switch holes using a drill and a round file (with a square one to make the alignment slot.

For the display holes i used a dremel, if you pre drill small holes all along the cut line you can reduce the wear on the dremel bits and the line will be a bit easier to keep neat, of course i also filed it down then sanded it to smooth it out a bit.

This one here is a dry fit with all the switches etc. built in. However, the toggle switches twist too easily and the displays are a bit loose.

Here is a view from the underside. The display covers will be removed which will allow for easy replacement of their batteries I will also take a hot glue gun to the underside to keep th lose bits in place.

THe red and blue caps are crimp connectors to allow a good connection to each switch and the ability to easily fiddle with:D

THere is still no eta on the switches and im still finding a way to test the unlabeled LED's so that they can be wired up correctly. as usual i will update when i can

Associate
OP
UPDATE

Hi again everyone,

latest update, i realised that i had the wrong switches (the two metal ones) as they would both have me with two sets of LED colours being displayed. Therefore i went to buy some more and a few bits and bobs to go with it.

First of the switches i now have are DPDT as they didnt have any center off SPDT switches. As a result some of the pins on the new switches will not be used.

I also gave in to vanity and bought rubber switch covers to go over the top and give it a more proffessional look.

This is the image from the main panel, as you can see the rubber covers take away the view of the screw and nut for the mounting. They are really easy to fit if you do decide to get any as they have a built in nut so yyou just screw them straight on.

Just to point out that the two rubber switches one is in the top "on" position whilst the right one is in its central "Off" position

From the underside you can clearlysee the difference to the size of the components, however the extra weight will still be supported easily by the front panel.

Around the thermometers and the toggle switches i have used a hot glue gun to keep the thermometers in place and to stop the toggle switches from moving too much. To get the thermometers to set in place and still be able to take the aluminium panel of i had to remove the rear panel (battery access) and sand down the edges by around half a cm which i used a dremel to do it more quickly.

Unfortunatly there is still no ETA on the rest of the LED's and after getting engaged yesterday i have been pretty hectic. THis will likely mean that there won't by as many updates for a while.

Associate
OP
Just to let you all know that i recieved the rest of the parts today so the build can finally continue. Will post back when ive done the box wiring and figured out what colour each LED is...supplier didn't lable them:mad:

Back
Top Bottom