AV Receiver? (£250 - £300)

Soldato
Hello,

Moving house next week (all been well) and am in the market for a new AV Receiver? (< £300) I’ll be using it for my HTPC, V+ and 360 at the moment, it’s connecting to a 46” 1080p HDTV.

Cheers

PS must be black!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thanks,

The ONKYO TXSR507 looks ver good at £199. However, should I go for the

'Also available, the 3D TV compatible Onkyo TXSR308'

for £30 more, or is the 3D part not worth worrying about? (higher spec HDMI?)

Cheers

Soldato
OP
Now I've read a bit more I'd like the AMP to pass not only 'true' HDMI signals over the HDMI but also the likes of a WII etc over HDMI? anyone know if the above do this, or recommend one that does?

Associate
Now I've read a bit more I'd like the AMP to pass not only 'true' HDMI signals over the HDMI but also the likes of a WII etc over HDMI? anyone know if the above do this, or recommend one that does?

The cheapest amps that upconvert component to HDMI are the Dennon AVR1610, Yamaha RXV565 and the Onkyo TX-SR607.

Associate
OK, I guess I'm not too fussed about upconvert (no doubt the WII will always look poor).

Anyone have any thoughts on HDMI 1.4, worth worrying about?

Depends if you have any intention of buying a 3D BR player and TV during the life time of the amp :)

Even if I buy an amp next year I won't be worried if it doesn't have 1.4.

Soldato
OP
Torn between the Denon 1610, and the Onkyo TX-SR508 (for the 1.4 HDMI inputs)...might buy on Saturday, anyone convince me one way or the other?
and any advice on speakers, £250 budget?

Cheers

Soldato
and any advice on speakers, £250 budget?

Cheers

The JAMO A102 HCS5 speakers are very good quality for the money (see latest what hi-fi for review). I've had mine for a couple of months and am very impressed with the sound quality for the outlay (mine are running through a Sony STRDN1000 which perhaps isn't the best pairing for the speakers but i'm more than pleased with the overall results.)

EDIT: As for the AV i would personally go for the DENON AVR1610 if you could stretch your budget - DENON AVR1610. But TBH you'll should be pleased with the features and quality of either unit.

Last edited:
Soldato
If you can find your self a set of Q Acoustics 1010i speakers you might be able to get them for for slightly over budget. I got mine for £300 as they are end of life, but they are excellent speakers, especially when paired with a Denon 1610! :D

Soldato
Just come up mate, but its always like that with electricals, you can keep chasing but at some poin you've just got to take the plunge.

I'd funnily enough just about given up getting an amp, then that hit me.

Back
Top Bottom