Safari 5!

Dru

Dru

Associate
Really? Firefox is a complete slug on every mac I've ever installed it on. Although 3.6 did improve things a bit. Safari is terrible on windows though.

Soldato
FF is a slug for me too. Maybe you just need to use Safari more to gain the caches of pages that you have in FF.

Installed, don't notice any difference myself. Nice to see the blue loading address bar back.

Associate
Really? Firefox is a complete slug on every mac I've ever installed it on. Although 3.6 did improve things a bit. Safari is terrible on windows though.

Yup, safari is definitely quicker to load the program, but when it comes to loading different pages I can really tell the difference. I think most the apple software on windows is terrible, always get hangs with iTunes on my system.

Dru

Dru

Associate
Speaking of the address bar, anyone else finding it's not as "smart" as it's supposed to be?

There's too much emphasis on page title matching. Lets say I visit overclockers.co.uk and then come to these forums. If I type 'fo' in the address bar, it matches the forum subdomain as you'd expect. But if I type 'ov' then it still matches the forums address instead of the main site.

Chrome gets this spot on, as does firefox it's very annoying...

Soldato
How do I get the address bar drop down box to appear in Safari 5? This is an issue I had in Chrome too. I use the drop down menu on the address bar ALL the time in Firefox, yet it seems to be completely missing from Safari and Chrome. This means I have to click in the address bar and start typing a web address rather than being able to just select it from the drop down menu. Can anyone tell me how to turn this on in Safari and Chrome?

Thanks

Michael.

Soldato
OP
I don't think its available. Probably best setting up some bookmarks and use the bookmarks menu instead of the Address Box Drop Down or use the Bookmarks Toolbar.

Soldato
I don't think its available. Probably best setting up some bookmarks and use the bookmarks menu instead of the Address Box Drop Down or use the Bookmarks Toolbar.

I use the bookmarks menu for opening multiple tabs at once of bookmark folders, and the drop down menu for single sites I visit often. Oh well, no dropdown menu means no dice!

Soldato
OP
Flash is running waaay better on Safari 5 compared to Chrome for me. Anyone else noticed this?

For the brief period I used Flash it did seem to be running better and Safari was more responsive moving around pages and between tabs. Using HTML5 for Vimeo and Youtube now and installed a Safari extension for any Youtube videos that aren't HTML5 by default. So I pretty much don't see Flash anymore. :)

Associate
For the brief period I used Flash it did seem to be running better and Safari was more responsive moving around pages and between tabs. Using HTML5 for Vimeo and Youtube now and installed a Safari extension for any Youtube videos that aren't HTML5 by default. So I pretty much don't see Flash anymore. :)

Ha, the sooner HTML5 takes over the better! But in the meanwhile, flash is now very useable for me with Safari. It's knocked off 10%+ cpu usage compared to Chrome!

So far anyway :)

Dru

Dru

Associate
CPU usage is probably one of the biggest downsides of chrome (where safari is incredibly efficient). Viewing a video on vimeo using html 5 still uses a good 20%+ more cpu than it does in safari. Webm videos on youtube are even worse (almost 100% usage for a 720p video on a 2Ghz core2 duo) but it's still improving so hopefully it'll get better.

Back
Top Bottom