Changing discs and pads ?

Associate
My local garage quoted me £30 to do a straight swap on the front's & £50 to do a straight swap on the rear's on my Focus if I supplied the discs & pads (the rear's take slightly longer because it's fiddly as the handbrake is there too). Funny enough the front disc's that I received when I bought them were labelled "Ford Puma 00 on>" but apparently MK1 Focus's use the same discs as Puma's.

Edit - when I asked about how long it would take to do the fronts they said it was half an hour to do both sides but they said the rear's would take 45 mins to do both sides.

Liam

Last edited:
Associate
Cost me £140 for new disks and pads fitted at the front on my mk5 fiesta using a big indie garage. Did have the tracking checked also with that. Though I couldn't say if thats good or bad.

Soldato
These garages must be slackers it just doesn't take that long. Not unless you have open of those retarded cars like that Rover 600 that was on here where you have to remove the hub to change the disc.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
These garages must be slackers it just doesn't take that long. Not unless you have open of those retarded cars like that Rover 600 that was on here where you have to remove the hub to change the disc.

Now you mention this, actually, it was an hours labour INCLUDING a brake fluid change. I had the front brakes changed on the S-Class the other week hence it being fresh in my mind and hence having checked labour costs at a few different places.

Soldato
It takes me an hour to an hour and a half at work, depending on the vehicle. I do things to a high standard though, including shot basting the pad carriers and cleaning up all the bolts etc. I've seen some garages who do very little cleaning up, a wire brush across a couple of things at the most, and no grease to be seen!

Associate
People have told me as well that the front's are dead easy but the fact that I never attempted to do the brakes & how crucial they are that they are done correctly I just don't dare attempt it. I think I will be confident to do it myself say if a mate of mine showed me how to do it on my car. I have changed plugs, leads, air & pollen filters myself but I have never done the oil either - that is another job that is meant to be dead easy.

Liam

Back
Top Bottom