• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Whos uses or has used 3D?

Associate
Iv just started my foray into 3d with a set of colorcode glasses and the iz3d drivers, if I like it enough I'm going to hook myself up with a 3d monitor from samsung and get a pair of bitcouldron glasses, I can't for the life of me set up the anaglyph glasses properly yet, maybe it's just me but it seems hard and there's no definative guide on what all the options on iz3d actually do and how to tailor each setting correctly, maybe a default setting that just works out of the box lol. Anybody who's used any 3d be it anaglyph or stereoscopic I'd like to hear your experiences of it :)
and if anyone got any tops for color code settings or tweaks on iz3d it would be most appreciated lol

Soldato
I used it about 8 years ago, it was LCD shutter glasses with the monitor displaying alternate left and right eye images.

It was a good effect in some games, most games had small problems like the crosshair on the screen or the hud not looking quite right.

From what I've read of Nvidia's latest it is the same tech and suffers from the same problems.

That's not to say dont try it, I quite enjoyed my foray into it but dont expect all the games to look like a trip to your local real 3d cinema

The other thing to bear in mind is you need a beefy rig as the way active shutter glasses work is that each frame is rendered twice, so in the case where your GPU is the limiting factor you could have your framerate halved.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Cheers, has anyone used te bit couldron glasses yet with ati? I can't justify the price for the nvidia setup as it's a closed standard, the bit couldron reviews from a while ago seemed extremely promising, what does ati have in the way of 3d drivers or do we just use iz3d etc??

Associate
im running iz3d but im lacking the 120hz monitor. Tried running on a forced 75hz monitor but meh my head was about to explode...even buying iz3d would still cost as much as getting a nvidia setup.

If your considering spending £2000 on UPGRADEING your setup
Get this

Acer GD245HQ 23.6" 120Hz 3D Widescreen LCD Monitor (3)
470GTX (2)
3D Vision Kit (1)

It will come to £1500 ish. That will run mostly every game around 28-30 fps. I worked it all out on benchmarks and i did what was said. Deduct 50%.

Reason for 2 470gtx is because there scaleing. 1 will produce about 15fps (30 on high res maxed games but for 3d deduct 50%) and there scaleing is nearly 2* so that will make it 25-30 which is playable FPS. If you want to be sure about FPS in 3d just get 2 480gtxs.

Associate
OP
I'm not to keen on the recent nvidias, too expensive at the mo, iz3d can be "found" ;) for nothing, just wondered if I just needed the monitor, there's a asus 3d for 180 and glasses from that bit couldron, just wondering if that is all I need?

Man of Honour
TBH nVidia 3D Vision or don't bother... closed standard or not nVidia have put the effort in to support and document the best settings for hundreds of games - none of the alternatives have anything like as comprehensive support.

Somewhat subjective to personal taste but if your like me and find you needs 2x AA w/ 3D Vision then your really going to need either 200 series SLI or a GTX470 at 1680x on a 120Hz TFT for the best performance - tho in a lot of older games like MW1, BioShock 1, etc. you can easily get decent performance with high settings with a lesser setup. A lot of people find they can use it with AA off entirely which means you need a much lesser setup to get great performance even in the latest titles.

Personally while I like the effect don't find it practical for 8/10 games and don't find it comfortable for prolonged gaming session even in the game it works really well with - after 30-40minutes I do start to feel a bit nauseous.

Soldato
I would agree with Rroff here (sort of). The nVidia implementation is far more advanced than either the TriDef or iZ3D drivers (of which the TriDef drivers are better). For a start, nVidia's driver has DX11 support, whilst the others are still limited to DX9.

Associate
OP
thanks rroff, so has ati got no plans to implement 3d like nvidia has? Iv just got a new 5870 last week and don't really want to change cards again, I was kinda hoping it would be as simple as getting the glasses and monitor.

Man of Honour
ATI has "plans" but don't hold your breath... so far its been nothing but politics to keep people away from nVidia's solution.

Soldato
TBH nVidia 3D Vision or don't bother... closed standard or not nVidia have put the effort in to support and document the best settings for hundreds of games - none of the alternatives have anything like as comprehensive support.

+1, I doubt any of the other offerings have the same support

Associate
Made me feel sea sick after about 10 minutes then I felt really ill for teh rest of the after noon.

Went to try a new 3D TV same thing though this time I threw up on Dixons sales floor!!

I won't be "investing " in 3D

Back
Top Bottom