HTC Desire battery problem?

Associate
Hey all.

Anyone else been having any problems with their Desire?

For me, it started last night when I noticed that it was off and it wouldn't turn back on until I removed and replaced the battery.

Again, this morning, it was off again by itself and the little green fully charged light stayed on even when I unplugged it. Upon restart, it only showed 47% charge, even though it was plugged in all night.

Has turned off on me again today.

Spoke to Vodafone this morning and they reckon I need a new battery, which they are sending me.

So, I was wondering if anyone else had this problem and whether it was the battery or the phone? If it was the phone, then I should get on to Vodafone to change it straight away without waiting the week it will take the battery to arrive?

Thanks.

Man of Honour
Not heard of any such problems. Could quite clearly be a battery fault though, probably not a rare thing.

You haven't rooted it or anything have you? (I assume you would have mentioned, but perhaps not) :p

If you can walk into a Vodafone store and swap the handset, just do that instead of waiting for a battery, if not, then you are probably best off waiting.

Oh, and I gather you've tried factory resetting it? (Some of the new ROMs have battery problems related to the software, could be that maybe)

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply Robbo.

No, I haven't rooted it.

Not sure about walking into a store to be honest with you. Got it over the phone, so I assumed that is where it's replacement would come from?

Actually, I haven't factory reset it and I did install an update recently. Would a ROM really turn the phone off and stop it restarting though? Also, would it prevent it from recharging?

If you guys think it would, then I will reset it. Just a pain to set it up all over again and download all my apps. :(

Man of Honour
I know it's pain setting it up again, but I think a Factory Reset would be in with a decent shout of fixing it.

I can't say all the reasons your phone would act like it has been, but I know battery and power problems can be attributed to the software/firmware, so it's worth a shot!

With regard to Vodafone, I'm not sure really, if it's directly from them the shop might be able to help you, I guess you could ring up your local one and ask :p

Good luck!

Soldato
HTC desire saves battery profile info - this might have been corrupted and in need of wiping. It could be the power controller though, or the battery. I'd try the new battery, if no change within 5 days then talk to voda about your options.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the advice guys.

Strange thing is, it has been behaving itself since yesterday, so will see how it goes.

Got a new battery coming anyway, so will test it out to see if anything changes.

If it starts to act up again, I will factory reset it to see if that helps.

Failing all that, new phone it will have to be, but that could take a while.

Associate
OP
Update (sort of).

Spoke to Vodafone today again since it has been a week and no new battery has appeared.

Turns out they are out of stock.

In what I think is a nice move, the guy on the phone refunded me £25 (£20 for the battery and £5 for the inconvenience) and told me to buy one off Ebay. :)

Thing is, I want an original HTC battery and I am having trouble determining which ones are which.

So anyone know where I can get an original HTC battery other than HTC themselves (too expensive)?

Thanks.

Associate
A certain Jersey based store that I'm not sure if we can mention sell the official ones for £15.99 but are currently showing a 1-2 week lead time. I bought mine from them.

Associate
It's the correct product code so it should be. From your link it's also being sold by superetrader.co.uk and I used them for my official case so I'm sure they'd also sell the official batteries. They are slightly dearer at £19.99 but do offer free delivery.

Associate
OP
Last update (in case anyone cares :))

It wasn't the battery that was at fault.

Just got my phone back from HTC and they say it has a Main board current leakage that led to battery overheating.

So, new main board and new IMEI number later, all seems to be well.

Guess the phone is too new or valuable for them to simply replace when it develops a fault.

Associate
I had a replacement sent after the 30 days term with o2.
the phone would randomly not receive calls, as if poor signal, new sim didnt make a difference, then they replaced the phone.

It still wont tell me if i have missed calls when phone is off, any ideas ?..

Al

Associate
OP
I used to suffer a lot of missed calls. When I mean missed calls, I mean my phone would not ring at all and the person calling getting voicemail straight away.

I also tried a new sim card, but it made no difference.

Has been much better lately, so I put it down to bad network.

What do you mean tell you if the phone is off? If it is off, then the phone will receive nothing and you will have to dial voicemail for any messages?

Back
Top Bottom