O2 - When is an upgrade possible?

Soldato
A friend of mine is about 18 months into a 24 month contract.
Will O2 only discuss upgrades with 1 month to go?

He has a Nokia 5800 and is looking at the Dell Streak.
He could buy a Streak outright for £400 and continue his contract.
But was hoping O2 might consider an upgrade at 18 months.

Associate
My girlfriend was on a 24 month contract with o2, and several times at different branches throughout the last year of her contract we have asked about getting an upgrade etc and always been told that o2 don't do upgrades mid contract.

Man of Honour
Quite a few companies allow you to upgrade the phone with 3 months left on your contract, I think the others have to let you with 1 month left.

Associate
A friend of mine is about 18 months into a 24 month contract.
Will O2 only discuss upgrades with 1 month to go?

He has a Nokia 5800 and is looking at the Dell Streak.
He could buy a Streak outright for £400 and continue his contract.
But was hoping O2 might consider an upgrade at 18 months.

O2 actually class their customers into 1 of 3 bands
Blue = 1 month early
Silver = 3 months early
Gold = 6 monthly early

There is a link on their site outlining the criteria for deciding and detailing the benefits. In short though, its how much you spend. If you spend a lot, expect to get premium customer service and early upgrades. If you don't spend a lot, or the same as most other users, then don't expect any early upgrades or special treatment. If you have multiple lines, from memory, O2 will look at your monthly spend, then split it across the lines (i.e £100 per month on 2 lines, means £50 on each account).

Associate
The early upgrade through o2 is a pretty good deal if you fancy a iphone 4g, if you only have 6 months left you could pay your 120 quid to get out of your contract and trade in your 5800 which would get you about 35 - 40 quid on trade in.

So really your paying 80 quid to get out of your contract, still ... normally you can only upgrade 6 months early if your an o2 platinum customer like someones already said. To be a platinum you need to be spending something in the region of 70 quid a month I think, or be a long term high tariff customer.

To be fair, I don't think the Dell Streak is worth it matey, you could get yaself a HTC Desire on 30 per month, like the iPAD being a large Iphone in essence, I feel the Streak is like a large Desire.

Soldato
OP
The early upgrade through o2 is a pretty good deal if you fancy a iphone 4g, if you only have 6 months left you could pay your 120 quid to get out of your contract and trade in your 5800 which would get you about 35 - 40 quid on trade in.

So really your paying 80 quid to get out of your contract, still ... normally you can only upgrade 6 months early if your an o2 platinum customer like someones already said. To be a platinum you need to be spending something in the region of 70 quid a month I think, or be a long term high tariff customer.

To be fair, I don't think the Dell Streak is worth it matey, you could get yaself a HTC Desire on 30 per month, like the iPAD being a large Iphone in essence, I feel the Streak is like a large Desire.

Personally I feel the Streak is too big.
And the decision to release it with 1.6 still amazes me - but for some reason he likes it.
Personally I'm a Desire owner and extremely happy to be!

Back
Top Bottom