• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

FPS problems with my XFX 5970BE

Associate
Hi all

First time I am using this forum. Hopefully you guys can help.

After installing the XFX 5970 BE I have noticed straight away a big fps drop in 'Call of Duty WAW' 70 to 90fps with no action in the game. As soon the level gets busy the fps drops down to 30/60. this is with very basic settings. AA=off,Vsync=off. .I have even bought a new MB last weekend (spec below) but it made no differenve. Windows, drivers, MB bios and video card bios are up to date.

ASUS P6X58D-E
INTEL I7 920 @3.5GHZ
2x WD VelociRaptor 300GB
XFX ATI Radeon HD 5970 Black Edition 2048MB
AKASA PowerXtreme 1200W Ultimate Performance PSU
Corsair H50-1 Water Cooler
Corsair 12GB DD3 PC3-12800C8 1600MHz DDR3
IIYAMA ProLite E2407HDS

here are some benchmarks too:

3D MARK 06:
Resolution: 1280x1024
AA: None
3D Mark Score: 19049
SM 2.0: 6949
SM 3.0 10276

Call of Duty WaW
Resolution: 1920x1080
AA: 4x
All other settings to medium
FPS: average 85 with no game action. Just myself walking through level.
FPS: <60 with some other players in same level. Medium action.

Battlefield Bad Company 2
Resolution 1920x1080
FPS: average 150 with no game action. Just myself walking through level.

Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2
Resolution: 1920x1080
FPS: average 90 with no game action. Just myself walking through level.

My previous card C4870x2) had much better results. I have tried the rest of suspious settings like Vsyn to "off" ect.. but know I am running out of ideas.
I have tried the over voltage tool but this programme won't even start. I get the message " Hemlock Overvolt has stopped working" uninstalled and reinstalled programme with no success. getting the same error message.

hopefully you can help

cheers

Associate
OP
Hi Raven, have tried it but no success. Xfire not needed as its a single card. Disabled ccc but made no difference. Just played CoD WaW but max fps is 91, with min of 50.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Ok. Didn't know the limitation, but never had such fps problems with my previous card (ATI Radeon 4870x2) when server gets busy and that was when my I7 920 ran at native speed.

Soldato
5790s don't have the Xfire option in CCC as it's enabled by default.

Download MSI Afterburner and play a game with it running. You should be able to Alt-Tab out to it and see on the graphs each GPUs level of load (Afterburner creates graphs that plot use over time so you can see what was happening 30secs before you switched out of the game).

Run GPUz, the bottom option on the first page should say ATI CrossFire: Enabled (2 GPUs)

Soldato
Run GPUz - should look like this (see the bottom of mine here)

gpu.jpg

Associate
OP
XFX 5970 BE

Hi all

Just a quick update. OC are still awaiting replacement from supplier. Here we go. I have got this card now since 3 month and haven't played a single game with it. :o:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom