going to houston for 5 1/2 weeks

Soldato
from the 21st I'm off to houston for 5 1/2 weeks, going to be taking my canon 300d w/battery grip, kit lens, canon ef-s 10-22(kenko mc uv filter + lens hood), canon ef 70-200 f4l(b+w mrc uv haze filter), canon speedlite 430 ex mk1, gorillapod slr, sandisk extreme iii 4gb (30mb/s) cf, sandisk ultra 4gb (30mb/s) cf, jessop 1gb cf, gittos rocket blower(should I take it or leave at home?), cf reader and battery charger all in a lowepro flipside 300(the 400 is £20 more and too big for my needs, would have been able to put magazine/s, chocolate etc in the front compartment for the flight but other then that think overkill once I got back).

I'm thinking about having a look at getting the 50mm 1.8 while I'm there, anyone know any good camera stores there? also what about the warranty when I'm back in the uk? with the 50mm 1.8 due to the price of the lens it's not a major issue, but if I was to look at more expensive lenses it would be an issue for me. what about the warranty situation with sigma and tamron lenses?

anyone got any suggestions of places to visit that are good for landscape and wild life? my uncle may take me to florida(disney world) so any good places in between houston and there that I might be able to get my uncle to stop over?

Associate
As for retailers, bhphotovideo are Ok, got a few bits from them when I was in the states a few years back, but your best best is to go to some malls, as you get some good deals in non-chain retailers. AFAIK Lenses are covered by warranty in different countries, but camera bodies are not.

Associate
its been a while since i was in houston but off the top of my head...

Buffalo Bayou Park and Hermann Park would be good for nature/wildlife/pics of houston city skyline

Johnson space centre in houston deserves a visit.

theres quite a few caves in texas too that might make for some unusual photos.

Soldato
OP
been to the NASA space centre when I first went to Houston in 1994(might have some photos some where, tho no slr let alone a dslr back then :) ). will see if I can get my uncle to take me again.

trying to make a list of places to vist before I go, then can ask my uncle to take me if we have the time. I'm sure my uncle will know places to visit, but asking on here if people know places that would be good photographywise.

Soldato
OP
I really shouldn't be suprised with the overrealming(sp?) reponse(NOT) that I'm getting, but anyone got firm answer regarding the warranty situation?

amkan sorry should have thanked you for the suggestions, as I said in my previous post I will ask my uncle about visting them.

Back
Top Bottom