Project: Whatchamacallit!

Soldato
Hi there.

Some time a go I managed to pick up a circa. 1999 AOpen server case off a friend as I had a spare case that she preferred the look of (I thought it was tacky though, and it wasn't expensive). We'd agreed that if I swapped everything over, I could have it for nothing. :D

Anyway, the built quality is fantastic! Thick metal panels and a rigid chassis, so a perfect base for some modifying.

Currently it has:

Space for three (two back, one front) 80mm fans.
Space for seven HDD's in the 3.5" bays
Five 5.25" bays.
Removeable motherboard tray + backplate
All panels are removable as well as hard drive cages.

Plans are to have one/two 120mm blowhole fans to the top, an intake 120/140mm on the front, create a cable management system, paint the outside metallic Blue (specific shade is still be decided). The inside will be sprayed a seperate colour too if I decide to put a window on the side panel.

I'm in two minds about what sort of system to have in it. I could go modest and put a cheap S/H build with a 939 AMD64 spec, or I could go enitrely unconventional and put a dual socket E-ATX Pentium III-S system in to keep with the era of the case!

Anyway, so far the only pics are from when I stripped and cleaned it:

02-10-08010Web.jpg

02-10-08002Web.jpg

02-10-08003Web.jpg

02-10-08007Web.jpg

Lots of room for cables! :)
02-10-08009Web.jpg

I'll update soon once I start cutting things. :p

Soldato
GAH! Your making me miss my really old server case. SO much room in them, I have watercooling setup on a 2500+ Barton and was really happy with it. I need a case like this to mod to my hearts content one day, but I have nothing to put in it! :D

Soldato
Lol, I'm sure I used to have one of these! It was too big to go under my desk, had to put it at the side.

Does this even have an ATX power switch, or was it still the hard-off button in 99?

Watching with interest :]

Soldato
OP
It's an ATX power switch as far as I can tell.

The placement will be changed and the switch will be changed for something more stylish anyway.

Soldato
Why not add two massive monster 24/25cm intake fans on the main side panel.
Flitered for the cooling of doom!
A nice fat number 8 made out of megafans :) or a % situation for over drives and over motherboard

Back
Top Bottom