Spec me a graphic novel...

Associate
I need advice on any good graphic novels I could get for my friend whos turning 18 soon. He's not a comic book nerd or anything like that, he has the kick ass one and likes the whole graphic novel thing.

So I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions? I don't want stuff like "Captain Britains adventure to the 5th underworld" (made up title, hardcore fans don't quote me :p ), I'm looking for something thats enjoyable to read but also staying mainstream (something like Iron man, which unfortunatly isn't released yet).

Thanks in advance

Associate
'Marvels' by Kurt Busiek is a bit of a classic with amazing art by Alex Ross.

'The Walking Dead' is an ongoing comic, and early issues have been collected, so you could pick up the early volumes of that. Its currently being made into a TV series.

Other ideas:
All-Star Superman (v1)
The Ultimates (v1)
Wanted (by the same bloke who did Kick Ass. Already a film but the graphic novel is significantly different)
Preacher (gone to texas). There are several volumes after it though.

Associate
Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller.

An aging Bruce Wayne comes out of retirement and resumes the role of Batman. It's not only a classic, it's a great stand alone book that needs no background knowledge; it's also darkly funny, violent, grim and brilliantly written.

Soldato
Another vote for The Walking Dead here, you can buy the compendium pretty cheap nowadays for around £20-25 (I think) from the rainforest place.
It's a great story of survival and human drama and is even getting it's own tv show this October.

Soldato
Fables
Sword (Luna Brothers)
Girls (Luna Brothers)
Y The Last Man
Preacher
Astonishing X-Men (Joss Whedon's run)
The Ultimates (Mark Millar run Vol 1 and 2 only, not Vol.3!)
Wanted (Mark Millar's real Wanted story, not the crock that was the movie)

just a few i couldnt recommend more, the 2 bolded ones specifically if he enjoys Kick Ass as its written by the same writer. Also theres the New Kick Ass series called Nemesis but thats just started the single issues so no graphic yet.

Soldato
'Marvels' by Kurt Busiek is a bit of a classic with amazing art by Alex Ross.

'The Walking Dead' is an ongoing comic, and early issues have been collected, so you could pick up the early volumes of that. Its currently being made into a TV series.

Other ideas:
All-Star Superman (v1)
The Ultimates (v1)
Wanted (by the same bloke who did Kick Ass. Already a film but the graphic novel is significantly different)
Preacher (gone to texas). There are several volumes after it though.

got a nice eye for comics there mate, almost the same as mine. have you not read Allstar Superman 2? or Ultimates Vol 2?

also if you enjoyed All-star Superman try All-star Batman and Robin, same kind of idea, a singular imagining of an iconic character in the best possible way ive seen them done.

Associate
got a nice eye for comics there mate, almost the same as mine. have you not read Allstar Superman 2? or Ultimates Vol 2?

also if you enjoyed All-star Superman try All-star Batman and Robin, same kind of idea, a singular imagining of an iconic character in the best possible way ive seen them done.

I have read Superman and Ultimates v2, but I assume the OP just wanted 1 book.

I've got All-star Batman, but no got around to reading it yet.

The Walking Dead compendium is indeed an excellent buy, but it seems to have gone up to around £35-£37 at most places now....if you can bag it for £25 then thats a bargain.

Permabanned
i am legend (again nothing like the silly will smith movie remake)
30 days of night, and its sequels Dark days & return to barrow
all horror based and very accesible for graphic novel newbies i reckon.
Im no comic expert nor a major horror fan but I found all of these impossible to put down and with brilliant artwork too

Soldato
The Walking Dead
Chew
Haunt
Batman Year One
Essex County
Scott Pilgrim
Watchmen
Greek Street
Existence 2.0/3.0
Hellboy
100 Bullets
Queen and Country
Zombies Vs Robots
Zombies Vs Robots Vs Amazons
Sweet Tooth

Just a few collected works worth having a nose into that I have read over the last 12 months or so.

Rich

Back
Top Bottom