Accident, what to do?

Soldato
Hi guys,

My mum was driving the other day in the leftmost lane (goes straight on) and there was traffic in the righthand lane (turning right). A mini-cab started pulling out of the righthand lane and into my mum's car. She tooted loads, but he kept moving, so she had to mount the curb to avoid an accident. This caused her hub to get damaged and her run-flat tyre to be split. She and my sister both shouted at the guy to pull over, but he said "I didn't hit you, I'm not pulling over".

Clearly he caused the accident, and they got his plates.

Is there any chance of my mum getting his insurance to pay?

Thanks

Daven

Soldato
Just because he didnt hit you, doesnt mean he didnt cause it. He effectivly barged you off the road, did he even indicate to move into the left lane ?

If not then its clearly a case of driving without due care and attention, although ultimately it is your word agaist his, so most likely outcome is 50/50, but you really do need an independant witness.

Associate
Agree with the above, if you're in an accident you should always get details from any available witnesses. It seems like it was clearly his fault, but the problem is that it wasn't his actions that caused the damage. It's impossible to call because none of us were there but I would get onto your local police to report the incident and give the cab company a call as well to see if there's anything they're willing to do.

Man of Honour
IMHO no chance. No accident took place, and nobody can prove your mother did not simply overreact and drive into the curb.

Soldato
What speed was this at? They might ask the question too why did she not just brake rather than tooting and assuming he would move out of the way and then having to swerve when he didnt.

Poor driving on the part of the minicab driver undoubtedly, difficult to prove though unless you have decent witnesses and suchlike as it's just one word against another.

Soldato
Sounds like she was driving too fast in heavy conditions to be honest. I always expect someone to pull out as i've seen it before, except someone pulled out into a 70mph dual carriageway in fairly heavy traffic!!

Live and learn!

Soldato
[TW]Fox;16752685 said:
IMHO no chance. No accident took place, and nobody can prove your mother did not simply overreact and drive into the curb.

one of those anoying situations where someone would has possible been better off not avoiding and accident

DM

DM

Permabanned
[TW]Fox;16752685 said:

Yep thats about right, gonna have to suck that one up im afraid short of cctv footage.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;16752685 said:

^^ this, when some chav scraped his car down the side of ours when Sarah was driving it, then gave her false details the Police didn't want to know, simply weren't interested and told us to claim it off our insurance. This was despite her having a photo of the bloke and his car and his (written by him) wrong details.

They will only get involved if someone is hurt.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
No space to stop - she was moving at the correct speed for a clear road.

Unfortunately no witnesses.

Have gone to the police and cab company.

Thanks for the advice. Are prepared to suck it up, because that's life, but want to make it known to authorities that this driver is dangerous.

Soldato
No space to stop - she was moving at the correct speed for a clear road.

Unfortunately no witnesses.

Have gone to the police and cab company.

Thanks for the advice. Are prepared to suck it up, because that's life, but want to make it known to authorities that this driver is dangerous.

Are you sure she didn't just miss judge the situation?

Back
Top Bottom