Budget PC Challenge?

Soldato
Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone could beat the pc world bulk buyers and build a system for less than £299 with everything included.

All parts must be brand new and be able to run Windows 7 comfortably.

Mouse, Monitor and keyboard all included.

The cheaper you can build it the better, cheapest system wins.

Caporegime
Untitledaw.png

Associate
Thats going to be very difficult to do, given that they'll get them discounted due to the higher quantities they'd be buying. Plus, there's a number of budget parts that they might be using, that OCUK don't sell as they arn't quality parts.

Associate
Thats going to be very difficult to do, given that they'll get them discounted due to the higher quantities they'd be buying. Plus, there's a number of budget parts that they might be using, that OCUK don't sell as they arn't quality parts.

Your blind, they sell plenty of value products.

Soldato
OP
Shame DDR2 is twice the price is was 9 months ago!

I've always noticed the wacky price fluctuations in RAM. Can anyone tell me why this is. I remember building a high end system a good few years ago now, maybe 4 years plus ago. The ram was around £140 then 4 months later it was £30.

Then last year I got myself some corsair dominator ddr2 1066mhz for £45 and then it was upto £130.

Really strange, no other components seem to fluctuate as much as this does.

Anyone know why?

Soldato
OP

I realise they buy in bulk, that's why it's called a challenge lol. No one said it would be easy.

I'm not sure if this is against formum etiquette or rules, but I never necessarily said you had to buy the stuff from OCUK. another well known online company do a lot of really cheap products. I picked up a case from them for around £17 and it is an absolute beauty. Also got myself a few £7.99 PSU's also excellent.

Associate
I realise they buy in bulk, that's why it's called a challenge lol. No one said it would be easy.

I'm not sure if this is against formum etiquette or rules, but I never necessarily said you had to buy the stuff from OCUK. another well known online company do a lot of really cheap products. I picked up a case from them for around £17 and it is an absolute beauty. Also got myself a few £7.99 PSU's also excellent.

Yep, we all know about OCuk competitors and how they can be cheaper at times, but... we're not allowed to talk about them here!

OCuk is a great place for quality components and advice about them, but it doesn't do "cheap" stuff like its competitors. So shhhh... The only bits you'll see people talking about on this OCuk forum is stuff that OCuk sell, and quite rightly so.

Soldato
OP
£7.99 for a PSU i wouldn't let that power my toaster let alone my Computer

They have been running two low powered computers for the last 4 months for 10 hours a day without a hitch. 300 watts. You would be amazed what it costs to manufacture these expensive components, nothing like what you pay for them anyway.

There are also 73 other people all gave the product 5 stars. It cant be that bad now can it.

Associate
They have been running two low powered computers for the last 4 months for 10 hours a day without a hitch. 300 watts. You would be amazed what it costs to manufacture these expensive components, nothing like what you pay for them anyway.

There are also 73 other people all gave the product 5 stars. It cant be that bad now can it.

im with the forum folk on this one, you wouldnt catch me with a £7.99 psu, regarless of how it performs atm, the potential to blow up my entire pc at any given time is a definate no no

Associate
I think that the people shopping on websites and buying 'value' products don't realise quite what they're buying. I used to be one of these people. Nowadays I would gladly pay double for something that is rock solid quality. It's also good to know that when something does go wrong with a quality product, the vendor/manufacturer will likely sort it quickly.

Soldato
AMD Sempron X2 2100 - £21.58
MSI K9N6PGM2-V2 - £33.25
Crucial 2GB DDR2 667MHz/PC2-5300 CL5 - £36.99
Antec Basiq Power 350W - £29.03
Samsung F1 250GB 8MB Cache - £26.49
Samsung SH-S223 - £14.99
Asus HD 4350 256MB DDR2 - £21.95
Casecom 6630 - £12.99
Yate Loon 120mm fan - £3.49
Xilence Quad Core Cooler - £9.52
LG W1930S-PF - £78.58